Gone to the Zoo
In Science class, we just finished a chapter on animals, so I thought it would be an appropriate learning experience for us to visit the zoo. The zoo, although small, held a great many wonders for my students including a lion, tiger, leopard, bear, fox, monkeys, goats, deer, pigs, fish, turtles, several kinds of birds, and some local animals, including the fanihi, (aka the fruit bat). We had a wonderful tour guide who took us through the zoo, feeding the animals, talking to them, and attempting to draw them out. 
My favorite had to be all the cats. Tasha, the tiger, is a new addition to the Saipan Zoo, and she is beautiful. 
Saddie, the leopard, is absolutely gorgeous. Her fur appeared perfect and glossy and she had the poise and attitude of a real woman. If I could be an animal, I'd be her! Except, I'd hope to be out in the wild! 
The last cat was somewhat amusing: Lenard the Lion. He's young still, only 2 years only, so he's still working on that mane, but he's definitely developed some rebellious teenage attitude. There is a sign posted on his cage, warning all viewers of his naughty habit of peeing on people. The students were cautioned to keep on eye on him, because if he started to lift his tail, they could get peed on, and he has a range of 10 feet! Thankfully, we didn't get peed on, but one of my students turned to me with a confused look on her face and asked, “You mean, lions pee out of their tail?” I couldn't help laughing, but then explained that they peed from under their tail! (My student's say the funniest things sometimes!) 
All in all, it was a great field trip, but I'd have to say that the highlight for me was holding an iguana. I don't like reptiles very much, but a few of my students were holding it, and hey, I've held an octopus, so I figured I might as well take up the opportunity, since I didn't know when another would present itself. It wasn't the most enjoyable sensation, but at least I can say I've done it! You can kinda see from the expression on my face that I was telling my student to hurry up and take the picture! 
Finally, this picture is of my crazy students! As the sign warns, they are extremely wild and dangerous!





Comments