Update on Adventures.........

I'm going to try and stay ontop of updating all the adventures and activities that I do. It's already almost the end of January, and I haven't posted any of the things that I've done since Christmas, so I'm going to do a quick run through of my recent activities and from now on, I'll try to stay current!
********

Sabbath Afternoon, January 6 – We took a trip to visit the Old Man by the Sea. It's an old volcanic rock that incidentally looks like an old man. It's pretty cool. I visited it the last time I was here, and he looks pretty much as I remember him.....old and bumpy. There's not much to do in the area, because it's not really suited for swimming so we just walked around looking for cool shells and stuff. We found a few tiny jelly fish that had washed up. And if you searched carefully, you could find remnants of pottery from the ancient village that used to live on that beach. Pretty cool.

Sabbath, January 13 – Grant and I were over at the Maycock's, enjoying our Sabbath afternoon, minding our own business, when we got a call saying that there was a tsunami coming at 6:30pm. Since we had an hour before the wave was to arrive, Grant and I decided to take a drive down to the water's edge to see what a tsunami looked like. That wasn't an easy feat because all the factory workers had also heard the warning and there was a mass exodus up our street. But, the dogs were just relaxing, the roosters weren't crowing, and the ships were still on the horizon, so we figured that it just another false alarm. At 6:00pm, half an hour until the impending doom, we decided to pray for safety. Moments after we prayed the warning was called off!! At least we got to see the sunset, and it was a beautiful one!


The beautiful sunset that shone in all the chaos.......

Monday, January 15 – It was Martin Luther King, Jr Day, so we had the day off school! Wahoo!!! I relaxed all day because that evening would require great exertion. The 8th grade class held a 5 K run as a fundraiser. You had to pay $10 to run, but if you won, you got prizes! I don't know if I've ever ran that far in my life.........and that's nothing compared to what marathon runners do! I had to stop and walk a few times, but I finished, and I was pretty proud of myself for that! I don't think my body will be ready for that long of a distance until next year!


Later that same evening, Grant, Bev and I had a game night. The rest of the girls went out to some movie, so we decided to create our own fun, and we did! We played Scramble......an accelerated version of Scrabble.....and a lot more fun! It was a great evening!



Friday, January 19 - Our church went to Wing Beach to have vespers rather than just the usual, everyday, ordinary vespers at the church and it was great! We got to watch the sunset, sit around a campfire, sing songs, and enjoy each others company. What a wonderful way to welcome the Sabbath!

Sabbath, January 20 – We went to the hospital on Sabbath afternoon and sang to the patients. It was a little weird at times because they had never had anyone do that before, and it's quite different from putting on a program in a retirement home, but it was great to see their smiling faces and they were so happy to have us visit.




Later that same evening, after the sun had set, we set out for a night on the town. Just Grant and his 5 girls! We ate at an Italian restaurant called Capricciosa's. The food was excellent and was had so much fun just goofing off and enjoying a free evening. Then we took a stroll through the streets of Garapan enjoying the sights and the sounds. We took tons of crazy pictures! What a blast!










And that brings us up to date! This week has been busy because my class is even fuller than ever. I now have 21 students.....almost half of which don't speak very much English. They are ESL students here on a short term basis. It's great to have them here, but it will be nice when my classroom isn't wall-to-wall with desks anymore! It keeps me super busy!

Comments

Bev said…
This was such a great night! Grant's so lucky!=)

Popular Posts