Weekend in Rota

My weekend in Rota was a nice change from all that I've come accustomed to here in Saipan. It forced me to step out of my little bubble and get to know some new people. We went the weekend that school closed for Christmas vacation, and it was nice to get away! I was traveling with the church choir and although I was acquainted with all of them, I had never really spend any time getting to know them. But it was fun. We got there Friday night and after vespers we were taken over to the dentist's house where we all stayed. Sabbath was a full day, including the new church's dedication, potluck, practicing for that evenings Christmas program (I got to be the narrator), and then, of course, the Christmas program. Sunday we got to do the “Island Tour.” It's a very beautiful island. It feels a lot more tropical than Saipan because it is more rural and less populated. I like the peace and quite that you feel all over the island. And because it was less inhabited, it seemed more lush and green than here. (But I did miss my home island after awhile!) We first went to the swimming hole that was as clear as a pool. It was fun snorkeling in the protected area. We ate lunch there, which consisted of fresh corn, fresh coconuts and local taro (which is like sweet potatoes, very sweet, but they are purple! You don't have to add anything to them, you can eat them right out of the skin.....they are that sweet!) Then we continued around the island.....visiting historical places, the Sabana, the bird sanctuary (which was absolutely amazing, but my camera batteries died, so I didn't get very many pictures...), and the highest point on the island, which ended up being very foggy and cold (in island standards....which is still pretty cold for me!) We also spend most of Monday on the island.....we slept in, ate a late breakfast, sang karaoke on the porch until a mid-afternoon barbeque, before leaving for our own island. All-in-all, it was a wonderful weekend, full of new friends, new places, new experiences....and a wonderful way to spend my first weekend of Christmas vacation! Take a look at the island........


The whole "Island Tour" group overlooking the bay from up top.
Some of the ladies and me sitting on one of the ancient taga carvings. They carved these all by hand and they are MASSIVE!
Eating our picnic lunch at the swimming hole.
There's the swimming hole.
The island had a very rugged beauty!

Comments

Popular Posts