Sailing With God

Last Sunday - February 4 - we had the opportunity to go sailing. This isn't something that I've gotten to do a lot of, so I jumped at the chance to try something new. It was a beautiful day! The sun was out, the wind was up - we were ready for a day on the water. The guys put the boat in the water and took it for a test run. They returned with a report saying that the wind was a little stong making the water a little rough, but they'd take us out anyways. We didn't get to do much sailing that day due to the wind and the currents, but we all got a taste of it. And I learned an important lesson:

As I was sitting on the front of the boat, racing through the water, waves crashing over the front of the boat longing to sweep me over the edge, I thought to myself, "I'd feel so much safer and in control if I was in a kayak." And yes, in a kayak I would be more in control. And yes, although kayaks can tip over and such, overall, they are a little safer. But the down side to a kayak is that you have to do all the work, whereas in a sailboat, you let the wind do the work for you. I realized that that is a lot like life. You can play it "safe", stay in control and work really hard at getting where you want to go...........or...............you can sail with God. You might feel out of control and like you are taking a risk, but it's a lot easier because He'll do all the work for you. He'll put the wind in your sails, man the rudder, and navigate you through the rough waters. There may be bumps and you may even get a little wet, but you'll be safe because He's the best Sea Captain you could have.

Comments

Popular Posts