The Moments I Live For.....
Sometimes life falls into a mundane pattern and you find yourself doing the same thing day after day and wonder "Why?" But then there are those days, those moments, that clearly remind you exactly why you are where you are, doing what you're doing.
This week was full of those moments. It was our last week of the school year. It started off in paradise! We were invited to spend the evening with some friends who live half way up the mountain - the Schmidt's. They are the coolest, most kind and hospitable people I've met on this island! They always spoil us when we come over - we get to swim in their pool, relax in the jacuzzi, eat amazing food, and enjoy wonderful company. But I think my favorite part about visiting Randy and Marcia is, Coco, their dog. Also known as "Princess Butt-Butt", this local breed of boonie dog melts your heart in a matter of minutes. If you don't pet her she will sit at your feet and howl a mournful cry. It's so precious! But her notorious howl is not her only claim to fame, Coco won the "Fattest Dog on Saipan" award a few weeks ago at a local dog show - and she sure deserves it!

Monday, being a holiday, meant we had no school! What a wonderful way to start the last week of school! Britni and I had the privilege of going out to dinner with Grant and his dad! We ate at our favorite Thai restaurant, "Spicy Thai", and had a great time. It was fun getting to know Grant's dad and seeing the two of them together. You learn a lot about someone from their parents.

Tuesday was jammed full of fun as we took the whole school to the water park for the moment. It was a lot of fun to run around, hang out, and play with not only my students, but the older and younger ones, too. It was fun to take one of the 2nd grade boys down the water slide with me because I could tell that he was scared (because he had his arms and legs tightly wrapped around me, in fact I may still have his fingernail marks embedded on my stomach!), but I could also tell that he trusted me completely and would go where ever I went. It was really cool.

Later that evening was the Kindergarten Graduation: 10 little 5- and 6-year olds marched up the aisle in style! Their theme was "The Kindergarten Blues" and at the end of the program they put on hats and sunglasses and sang a Kindergarten version of The Blues - it was priceless!
Thursday brought us to another graduation - this time it was the 8th graders. There were only 3 of them, but they were beautiful. Even though I didn't teach them, I still feel like they are my students and my heart was overflowing with joy and pride as they reached this milestone in their lives. It made me want to be back at that stage in my life. Afterwards, we were all invited to the "after party" which was a huge buffet dinner put on by one of the student's parents. It was a lot of fun to just hang out and make more memories - Like using the confetti on the table as a bindi. Grant tried to protest, saying guys never wore them, but I made him do it anyway!



The week was a lot of fun. So many last minute memories made. So many smiles, laughs, and hugs. It was a good week. A week to remind me why I'm here. These are the moments I live for!
This week was full of those moments. It was our last week of the school year. It started off in paradise! We were invited to spend the evening with some friends who live half way up the mountain - the Schmidt's. They are the coolest, most kind and hospitable people I've met on this island! They always spoil us when we come over - we get to swim in their pool, relax in the jacuzzi, eat amazing food, and enjoy wonderful company. But I think my favorite part about visiting Randy and Marcia is, Coco, their dog. Also known as "Princess Butt-Butt", this local breed of boonie dog melts your heart in a matter of minutes. If you don't pet her she will sit at your feet and howl a mournful cry. It's so precious! But her notorious howl is not her only claim to fame, Coco won the "Fattest Dog on Saipan" award a few weeks ago at a local dog show - and she sure deserves it!
The Schmidt's House

Monday, being a holiday, meant we had no school! What a wonderful way to start the last week of school! Britni and I had the privilege of going out to dinner with Grant and his dad! We ate at our favorite Thai restaurant, "Spicy Thai", and had a great time. It was fun getting to know Grant's dad and seeing the two of them together. You learn a lot about someone from their parents.
Grant with his father, Dr. George Graves

Tuesday was jammed full of fun as we took the whole school to the water park for the moment. It was a lot of fun to run around, hang out, and play with not only my students, but the older and younger ones, too. It was fun to take one of the 2nd grade boys down the water slide with me because I could tell that he was scared (because he had his arms and legs tightly wrapped around me, in fact I may still have his fingernail marks embedded on my stomach!), but I could also tell that he trusted me completely and would go where ever I went. It was really cool.

Later that evening was the Kindergarten Graduation: 10 little 5- and 6-year olds marched up the aisle in style! Their theme was "The Kindergarten Blues" and at the end of the program they put on hats and sunglasses and sang a Kindergarten version of The Blues - it was priceless!
Thursday brought us to another graduation - this time it was the 8th graders. There were only 3 of them, but they were beautiful. Even though I didn't teach them, I still feel like they are my students and my heart was overflowing with joy and pride as they reached this milestone in their lives. It made me want to be back at that stage in my life. Afterwards, we were all invited to the "after party" which was a huge buffet dinner put on by one of the student's parents. It was a lot of fun to just hang out and make more memories - Like using the confetti on the table as a bindi. Grant tried to protest, saying guys never wore them, but I made him do it anyway!



The week was a lot of fun. So many last minute memories made. So many smiles, laughs, and hugs. It was a good week. A week to remind me why I'm here. These are the moments I live for!








Comments