The Three Basic Elements

"Religion......in purity it has but these elements - God, the soul, and their mutual recognition; out of which, when put in practice, spring worship, love, and reward" (The Egyptian in Ben-Hur by Lew. Wallace). Think about that for a moment...that's all that's necessary: you, God, and mutual recognition of each other. That makes it sound so easy..... It is easy, it's just us humans that add all the extra stuff to make it difficult and tedious. In Hosea 6:6, God is longing for us to just come to Him in simplicity and sincerity. He says, "For I desire mercy and not sacrifice. And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings." We don't offer sacrifices of burnt offerings anymore, but God is still speaking to us. He's saying, "I want your love. I want your worship. I want you to know me." The other things are important - going to church on Sabbath, outreach, helping those around us - but that will be a natural result that springs forward when we humbly come before God. We will want to do all the things that we're doing and follow the laws that He's outlined for us because it will be out of worship and love, not out of mere tradition and obligation. God is longing for us to come before Him with hearts full of worship and love so that He can grant us the reward that He has promised!

Comments

Popular Posts