It's All in the Journey

Too often, we get so caught up in reaching our destination that we forget the journey along the way. Reaching the destination is important and rewarding, but today I learned that our lessons come from the journey and not the destination.


It's been way, way too longsince I've gone rock climbing....but today, I finally got to get back on the rock and did some climbing. And, boy, did it ever feel good! I used some muscles I haven't used in a while; I stretched in ways I don't usually stretch, but it felt good!


It was a steep climb, probably not the best choice since I haven't climbed in a while, but that's where they guys set up anchor, so I welcomed the challenge. I had belayed for the first climber and watched his ascent. He made it look so easy. I quickly started up the cool rock face with agility and enthusiasm. I was doing great! Then I came to the first overhang. I blindly felt for hand holds above me but found nothing. I traversed to the left. Nothing. Then to the right. Nothing. I was determined to make it over this overhang and on to the rest of the climb. But everything I tried, I came up empty handed. I didn't want to quit; I didn't want to end the climb early.....but I just couldn't seem to make it over the overhang. Finally, with exhausted fingers and aching toes, I admitted defeat and was belayed down. I was disappointed that I hadn't finished the climb, but then I realized that I had gotten so focused on reaching the top that I had forgotten the journey along the way. Even though I didn't finish my climb, I still had a lot of fun and pushed myself beyond previous limits. Reaching the top would have been great, but it was in the journey where I learned my lesson.


Looking straight up.
You can see the overhand near the top of the picture.
Later on......having some fun rappelling down the face.

Comments

Sean said…
Wow, that looks pretty amazing!
Anonymous said…
Glad you were able to enjoy the day at the rocks even if you didn't get to kiss the top. That's something I needed to read. All too often I get so focused on the goal that I forget to enjoy the process. Thanks for the great reminder.
Bev said…
your awesome mai. thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am learning to enjoy the moment as well as the journey.

Popular Posts