Canada Day Climbing

Happy Canada Day!!!
It's been a while since I've actually celebrated Canada Day in Canada.....I've been in Europe, Mongolia, California, and who knows where else in the past few years for Canada Day. But this year, I was home. The day dawned bright and clear, giving hope of a beautiful day. The morning was spent relaxing and visiting with family who was in town for the weekend. But by mid-afternoon we had our gear packed and were out the door. We met up with 2 other guys and hit the mountain. By the time 5 o'clock rolled around, all the other climbers and cleared off the mountain and we had it all to ourselves. It was a beautiful sight. Being one of the tallest climbing areas in the area we couldn't top-rope it....each route had to be led. Needless to day, I didn't lead either of the 2 climbs I did, and that was okay with me!

The first climb I did was rated a 5.7 and it was a lot of fun. After taking a short break, I decided to try the second route that had been set up. It was rated a 5.8b.....I wasn't sure I could do it, but I wanted to try the overhang that was right near the base of the climb. It was tough. I stood crouched right below the roof of the overhang trying to figure out my next move. I began doubting my abilities. I had watched all the guys do it and they made it look so easy with their long arms and legs. Part of me was holding back, wanting to give up. But the other part was too stubborn – I didn't want to admit defeat. So I finally took a chance – I pushed myself away from the rock and leaped upward....and there, my hands fell into a deep, secure hand hold. It was a beautiful feeling. I continued to pull myself upward, over the ledge and found myself standing on top. With that conquered, I figured I'd continue on a little more. From there, I just seemed to keep going and going. Each time I would find myself stuck and wanting to give up, I'd try just one more thing and make it past that spot. I had started the climb intending only to get past the overhang, but before I knew it, I was at the top, kissing the chains and realizing that I had just climbed a 5.8b!

Sometimes in life you get to a point where you have to turn around and try something else, but other times, you'll find yourself in a tough spot, but just hang in there a little longer...try one more thing and you'll find that you can make it past and eventually, you'll even make it to the top!


(you can see the overhang right below me in the picture)

Comments

Anonymous said…
way to go, mai! keep up the good work. Remember Churchill. Never give up.
Bev said…
i have an idea! Do you guys want to try and climb suicide cliff? We saw some other people doing it the other day!
Sean said…
"Hey now, you're a rock star!"

Very impressive, Mai.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
When are you coming to Oregon?? When you do we will show you some good climbing here.

Popular Posts