Walking By Faith
For we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Cor. 5:7
As the reality of the situation set in, tears welled up in my eyes. My friend, Delluhle, was just diagnosed with some rare disease that would leave him blind with in the next 10 years. My mind screamed with protests: There must be some mistake! He's too young for something like this! Why him??? But despite all my inward protests, I knew it was true.Searching back to my earliest memories, Delluhle has always been there. He grew up being as close as a cousin. We were dedicated together as babies. We attended the same church and school. He was one of my first little girl crushes. He's just always been there - crazy, fun, and always getting in trouble! I remember him rolling my dad's truck and the stories of him playing video games in college instead of studying. But I was always proud of him - watching him grow spiritually and succeed in life. Although we've been far apart for the past few years, he's one of those childhood friends who'll always remain close to my heart.
Delluhle's a strong person with s solid family and upbringing. But the thing that gives me the greatest confidence in his ability to face this disease, is that he loves the Lord and has chosen to follow him. My constant prayer is for him to be healed, but I know that if he isn't, God will give him the strength and courage to face blindness.
Many people in this world have perfect eyesight, but are completely blind to the things that really matter. But I know that if Delluhle does go blind, it won't leave him in complete darkness because he has chosen to keep his eyes on what's important and even blindness can't cause him to lose sight of that. He is walking by faith, and not by sight!


Comments
Why do bad things happen to good people?
Maybe bad things are part of what make good people better. Paul said he boasts in his weakness because it makes him depend on Jesus. When weakness unites with Christ, it becomes strength.
It's a tough place to be, and I too felt that sense of disbelief when I found out this summer. I'll pray for your friend.