Choices

Life is full of choices. Some choices are easy: do I want to eat PB&J or Mac & Cheese? Some choices are a little more difficult: who do I want to spend the rest of my life with? Easy or not, choices in life are unavoidable - that's the way God made us. He wanted us to be able to choose for ourselves. But that doesn't mean it's always easy.

Today I found myself choosing between singing to sick children at the hospital or going on the amazing hike to Forbidden Island. It was tough - I really wanted to do both. But I decided to go to the hospital and I'm really glad I did. I gained a deep blessing that I could not have gained anywhere else. I'm not sure what it was exactly..... Maybe it was the little girl with the most beautiful smile who let us sing the ABC's with her, or the teenage boy who was cheerful and welcoming despite his bone infection. Or perhaps it was the young mother of a sick, 7 month old baby who started crying as we sang "He's Able." All of these people and many others seemed so touched and grateful that we took the time to come cheer them up........but I feel that I was the one who came away with the deepest blessing. Forbidden Island will always be there for me to climb and explore, but I may never have the opportunity to touch those precious lives again.

I'm glad God gave us choices to make - and I'm glad He helps us make the right ones!

Please pray for Windy, Roy, Tarsus, Larane, Peter, Jaren, and all the others that we were able to visit this afternoon.

Comments

Bev said…
thanks for coming out Mai. Love hearing you sing.
Anonymous said…
Good job, Mai. It's things like visiting people, singing to 'em, and having that personal touch that are hard for me to do. But when I do them, I feel great. Jesus had that touch. He saw those smiles you saw. And I'm sure after he healed someone his heart was just as happy as yours was this Sabbath.

You're a great encouragement to me. Hearing all about your decisions, your ups and downs, it's good. Keep it up. You've got some island/missionary freshness that I feel I've lost. I appreciate you.
Anonymous said…
Good Choice! Singing at the Hospital is Awesomeness!
Sean said…
Beautiful post, Mai.