Real Life. Real God.
Last night, as I was eating dinner with my roommates, I asked them, "What are your expectations, what are you hoping to get out of this year?" There was a slight pause as they thought the question over. Then they began to talk. They seemed to share the same feelings: they truly felt that God has led them here, but they were a little disappointed that Saipan was so westernized. Another common thread woven throughout the conversation was that they wanted to deepen their relationship with God this year.
Then I began to talk. I kinda felt like Moses when God put words in his mouth. I told them that if they were willing to give all of themselves to God this year, He would push them out of their comfort zone, even here in Saipan, and give them the experience they were hoping for. Sometimes it seems like going to a place where there is no running water and you have to live in a hut will really push you out of your comfort zone and put your relationship with God on another level, but I told them that Saipan is a lot more like real life and if they could make God real here, they wouldn't lose it when they went back to the States to continue on with "real life." There are a lot of challenges and temptations here in Saipan......we have pretty much everything, except a microwave, but I really feel if they connect with God here, they can do it anywhere.
So we decided to make that our motto for the year:
As the three of us set out to serve God and deepen our relationship with Him, we will also strive to make God real in a real life setting. It's not college or summer camp anymore, it's a real opportunity to make God real right here in Saipan.
Then I began to talk. I kinda felt like Moses when God put words in his mouth. I told them that if they were willing to give all of themselves to God this year, He would push them out of their comfort zone, even here in Saipan, and give them the experience they were hoping for. Sometimes it seems like going to a place where there is no running water and you have to live in a hut will really push you out of your comfort zone and put your relationship with God on another level, but I told them that Saipan is a lot more like real life and if they could make God real here, they wouldn't lose it when they went back to the States to continue on with "real life." There are a lot of challenges and temptations here in Saipan......we have pretty much everything, except a microwave, but I really feel if they connect with God here, they can do it anywhere.
So we decided to make that our motto for the year:
Real Life. Real God.
As the three of us set out to serve God and deepen our relationship with Him, we will also strive to make God real in a real life setting. It's not college or summer camp anymore, it's a real opportunity to make God real right here in Saipan.


Comments
Yeah, Saipan can really mess with your head, when you see Mickey D's and Blockbuster, but your counsel was right on target. That's what you guys did last year and your year was every bit the ultimate mission experience.
I'm so glad you're here!