Thank God for Friends

Being back in Saipan has been good for me. It was a tough decision to come back here alone, and it's taking some time to adjust back into single life, but my biggest assurance is the fact that I know that God is leading me and has great plans in my life.

Being so far away from home can be tough, but God has sent some great people into my life to help brighten each day and to get me through. Some are right here in Saipan and others are back on the mainland, but their influence in my life and the blessings they have brought to me are all just as important. Here are a few of them............

First of all - my family. Even though I don't get to talk to my parents a whole lot, I know they pray for me every day, and that is an amazing thing. My dad told me that he looks at the pictures as they scroll past on his screen saver each day, and when one of me appears he prays for me. My mom constantly emails me and demands emails back, which is good, because it helps us stay in touch. My brothers try to call every now and then to check up on me and make sure I'm okay, but even when we don't get to talk, I know I'm in their thoughts and prayers.

My parents and me on my 21st Birthday

My brother Ronald and me at his graduation in May 2006.

My brother Royce and me in Amsterdam (Summer 2004).

My best friend from college - Sarah Jane - has been a huge support to me. We try to talk at least once a week, but even when that isn't possible, we leave really long messages on each other's answering machines to let the other person know what's going on and how much we miss the other person. It's always great to hear her voice even if it's only on my answering machine.

Sarah Jane and me at a Symphony in November 2005.

Grant & Britni - my fellow rock stars from last year. It was so hard to let them go at the end of the year, but I knew that the friendship that we'd formed over the year would be one that would not end just due to mere distance. We've stayed in touch over the summer and I got to see both of them state-side before I returned back to Saipan. We've also stayed in touch by doing a joint prayer list - we email each other our praises and requests and then we pray for each other...... "Friends that pray together, stay together!" They've been great friends and it's great to know that they are back on the mainland cheering me on through their prayers. And what's more, is that they know. They know all about life as a missionary in Saipan. They know the struggles and hardships that come. They know how much love and prayers are needed to make it through. It's good to have people who know.

Grant and me on the last Sabbath before we all left.

Britni and Buddy

All my friends here have also been so great. It was a such a comforting thought to know that, even though Grant & Britni and some of the others left, there were still a bunch of great people to come back to......Ken & Crystal, Bev, and Sean & Barbara, to name a few. The last few days I've realized how important these people are in my lives. The other night at prayer meeting, I prayed with Ken and Bev. Even though we were supposed to pray with someone "new", we justified it as not having prayed together yet "this year". And I'm glad we did. We prayed and then we just sat there and talked for a while. They asked me how I was really doing and how I was dealing with things. I was able to just open my heart up to them and tell them like it is. They just listened and told me it was okay to cry. It's great to have friends who are just always there and who know when you need to talk. And Sean. He seems to become a better, closer friend ever day! From the moment he got back to Saipan and gave me that great big hug, our friendship seems to be deeper and richer. Maybe it's because we feel the connection of the only returning elementary teachers. Or maybe it's because we've been hanging out more this year. But either way, it's just great to have a friend like Sean. His classroom is right next to mine, so if I ever need anything, he's right there. We work out together, we do the tank swim together, and, of course, we talk about the gold old days. We share hopes, dreams, ideas, weaknesses, bad dreams, and teaching strategies. We have lots in common - like our perfectionist tenancies - but we're also very different, which makes the friendship rich and insightful. Last night, we got to hang out while folding and stapling School Handbooks, but it was fun because we just talked, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company.

Bev and me on Mt.Topachau

The amazing doctor Piersons!

The Sean. He's great.

My life here in Saipan, my ministry, and my relationship with God would not be what it is if the influence of one of these people were missing. I also have many family and friends back home who I know are praying for me, and for them I am also greatful. I thank God often for the good friends He has placed in my life!




Comments

Anonymous said…
so true, my dear :)
it's Gods 'angels' here on earth that get us through, show us His love and remind us of who we are and where we're going. im so glad you have good friends to help you through when i cant always be there for you :( it was sooo good to chat today (too short :P) hope you have a great retreat... we'll compare notes when we get back.
mwah.
sj
Anonymous said…
Thanks for including us as special!!, I love the picture you chose of you and your brother Royce, you look so pleased, to have him in your life, and he looks so....? Skeptical??? but maybe that is because you hadn't yet broke the "dumb pole" joke yet!!
Love you and miss you, MOM
Brit's Blog said…
I love you to Mai! God is good and I know we'll be friends forever! Have an amazing labor day weekend! :)
Anonymous said…
Praying for you. If you were a piece of cheese, you'd be a really expensive, fancy-sounding, upper-crust piece of cheese. You'd be the kind that noboy's heard of becasue it's so rare and high class. What I'm trying to say in my own sweet way is, "You're one of a kind. And I'm glad you're my friend." Take care.
Bev said…
What can I say . . . I'm so blessed to have you in my life. So thankful you are here to experience new adventures with me this year. Praying for you Mai.
Mai! We're SO glad you're back in Saipan! We count you students very lucky to have you as their teacher. You are a ray of light to all around you. Keep your head up!
XO
Sean said…
Hey Mai,

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I'm so glad you're back! Thanks for your kind words. You've been a wonderful friend too. It's going to be a great year.

Here's to "being active!"

Popular Posts