Sorry

Last year, my roommates would often point out every time I ended a sentence with "Eh". They would always joke around and try to use it in their own sentences. And every time I would say the word "sorry" with my "Canadian accent", Grant would mimic Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables by saying "I'm sorry Anne. I'm so sorry." (using his best Canadian accent and extra emphasis on "sorry".) I always chuckled and thought it was funny.

This year, Sean and my roommates still point it out every now and then. I smile to myself, glad that I'm not losing my accent.

But just the other day, I had to hide a smug grin in class while disciplining a student. He's one of my Korean students who is still in the process of learning English. We have a unique relationship, because although he's always getting in trouble and I always have to discipline him, I know he always feels sorry for what he did and I always still love him (but he still gets disciplined!). So there we were again - I was talking to him about misbehaving in class, and he was sitting there with that sheepish look on his face feeling bad for what he did. And he looked up to me and simply said, "I'm sorry." Although I still kept the stern look on my face, my heart smiled, because, not only was he apologizing for what he did wrong........but, he had said "sorry" with a Canadian accent!

It's good to know that I am truly teaching these kids something after all!!! ;)

Comments

Sean said…
Ha-ha, good for you Mai!

Ain't nothing wrong with a little Canadian "Sore-y"
Anonymous said…
You're doing a good job, eh. Oops, I so sorry, Mai. I just can't ever figure out when to use this word, eh. Maybe I'll get it right one of these day, eh.
Anonymous said…
hahaha... so funny! but how exactly do you say 'sorry' in a canadian accent? i know the accent YOU say sorry in - which isnt necessarily how canadians say sorry - it is just the special little lilt that you give it!
and GILBERT!!! good job mr.graves! i went to see that play on thursday night at lifehouse theatre - anne of green gables.. anne with an E! but please.. call me cordelia :P
Anonymous said…
now i want to watch the anne movies again!
:)
sj

Popular Posts