Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! Now that I'm all grown up and I'm living far away from Canada, Canadian Thanksgiving has become extra special to me – especially being surrounded by so many Americans (although I love all of them)!
Incidentally, we had the day off school due to Commonwealth Cultural Day, but to me, it was Canadian Thanksgiving!
My next door neighbor asked me why Canadians celebrate thanksgiving so much earlier than Americans, and to be honest, growing up, I always thought that it was just because we weren't American. But, for those of you who don't know, let me tell you: unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north. So on the second Monday of October, we celebrate the end of a successful harvest, which is also a symbol of all the blessings in our life.
This year, Thanksgiving was very special to me. I don't remember getting to do anything special last year, so this year, I was determined to celebrate my holiday! I started on Sunday by making an apple crisp to share with my roommates. This reminded me a lot of Canada at this particular time of year because, right now at home the apples are just finishing and I've spent many thanksgivings making apple sauce with my mom.
Me and my apple crisp
I started off Monday morning by talking to my family at home and my best friend in California (who has recently become a fellow Canadian!) Before breakfast, I mixed up a home-made pumpkin pie and popped it in the oven. I was very excited because, not only is pumpkin pie a symbol of Thanksgiving, but it was the first pumpkin pie that I'd ever made – usually my grandma would make all the pumpkin pies at home. As the pumpkin pie baked to perfection in the oven, my roommate, Judith, was busy making a breakfast of yummy, home-made crepes for all of us. I made her an honorary Canadian for the day because sometimes I truly feel like she might be Canadian at heart.....and I needed a fellow Canadian to celebrate the holiday with.
Breakfast was super yummy and we all curled up in the living room and watched a girly movie together as the pumpkin pie cooled. After the movie finished, I didn't have to ask twice who wanted some pumpkin pie. I dished it out and held my breath as Judith took the first bite. I was super happy that my very first pumpkin pie had turned out perfectly!!!





I have so many things to be thankful for on this special Thanksgiving: home-made crepes, perfect pumpkin pie, friends to share the day with, family at home praying for me, students to minister to, laughter, joy, beautiful tropical weather..........the list could go on. But on this Thanksgiving, I'd like the thank God for another “successful harvest” in my life which has brought me so many blessings!







Comments
lol...I wish I could have a slice (I'm jealous)
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving :)
Have a great one!
love sj