When the Ground Trembles

It was approximately 1:30 P.M. this afternoon and my students were quietly playing in the classroom because it was too wet and rainy to go out for P.E. class. I was sitting at my desk, working hard to get everything finished before their play time ended. As I sat there, I began to feel kinda dizzy, like I was gonna fall off my chair. Was I imagining it? I looked around the classroom at my students - they all seemed to be playing as usual. Then, I looked up at the ceiling and seeing the fan shaking back and forth, I figured it must be an earthquake - but why didn't the students notice anything? I popped into Sean's class next door, and sure enough, they had felt it too. It turns out that it was a 7.2 earthquake that originated near the northern island of Pagan.

It was such a foreign feeling - like nothing I'd ever felt before. It made me feel dizzy and unstable. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to even get off my chair and walk. For hours afterwards, the feeling of the ground moving beneath me kept coming back and I couldn't really tell if it was just my body playing tricks on me. But one of those times it wasn't just my body fooling me, because there supposedly was another earthquake around 2:00! I'm just glad that the building didn't fall in on me or any other damage!

Comments

Brit's Blog said…
That is so COOL! I remember my first earthquake here in CA. It was crazy! It was like God had taken his hand and just shook the earth. Very cool feeling.
WAY TO SURVIVE your very FIRST earthquake!

Love you Mai!
Brit
Anonymous said…
Wow. I've never been in an earthquake. I slept through one during college. I was really disappointed. Glad you got to experience yours and you survived. Have a great day.
Anonymous said…
Fun readnig your blog! Know that all of Saipan is safer becasue you are there! God can no doubt justify keeping a tsunami away because you-- are there!

Thanks for your comments on Grant's blog. It is fun to read your take on things.

Blessings!

Mr. Mr. Graves (Grant's Dad)!