The Big Two-Three

Since my last birthday, my life has changed a lot. I completed my first year as a teacher, I gained a sister-in-law, I re-entered the singles' club, I've changed, I've grown, and I've learned a lot about myself. But as my birthday approached, I almost dreaded it. In all my previous years, I've always been the younger one, but this year I've found myself surrounded by a new group of teachers with the average age of 20. I realize that I'm only 3 years older, but sometimes I really can feel the difference and it makes me feel old. So I didn't really want to turn 23.

But, as always, my birthday rolled around despite me wishing it wouldn't. The day dawned grey and dreary - that didn't help the situation. As I trudged down the stairs to the bathroom, I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of my roommates had woken up early to decorate my hallway with streamers and balloons - this said a lot because she's not exactly a morning person. On top of that, she had cooked a yummy breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes - amazing!

My hallway beautifully decorated

Chocolate chip pancakes
After getting ready for church, we once again embarked on the long journey to Kagman. Not really taking notice of the weather, we arrived and found ourselves huddled together, cold and shivering, under the tent during the service. The wind was whipping and the rain was driving down mercilessly. The high point of the service was that a couple that have been attended the evangelistic meetings got married, then they dedicated their two children to God.....and later that afternoon, they would be getting baptized! What an exciting day for them.

The happy family

We decided to skip out on potluck since it was so cold and all we had brought was plain, white rice. Instead, we enjoyed a nice warm meal of pasta, kang kung and biscuits from the comfort of our own living room. I tried to nap, but with so many people at our house, it was impossible. I found myself laying in bed for almost an hour with my head buried under the blankets trying not to scream out in frustration. Since napping wasn't working for me, I decided to go for a walk. I was feeling kinda lonely since I was so far away from my family and friends, so I just wanted to get away for a while. I headed out towards the fisherman's point just past the sewer plant - it doesn't sound like a very nice place, but it's a good place to go. But, to my dismay, when I finally got there, it was blocked off due to recent construction. So I headed back and walked along the beach. I found a little cave, and explored it a little, but was kinda scared because I was all by myself, so I continued on. The beach was beautiful and the air was warm.

By the time I got home, there was even more people in my house and the chaos had increased. I wasn't exactly in the mood for all of that. I went over to Sean's house to give him my camera because he wanted pictures, and he invited me in. He was heading to Garapan to get a few things and invited me along. I'm glad he did, because that's where my birthday began to take on a more enjoyable feel. We just chatted and hung out as we ran his errands. On the way back, we stopped off at Big Dipper and indulged in Chocolate Malt shakes - yum! This had really picked up my spirits and prepared me for having even more people in my house when I returned.....we had the 9th & 10th grade students over for a game night. They also made cards for me and gave me a blueberry muffin with 24 candles on it (1 extra for good luck!).

My blueberry muffin - there were so many candles, I thought it was gonna catch the whole muffin on fire!

Make a wish.........

One extra for good luck.....
Hanging out with the students.....
Opening my presents.....a mirror for my purse. And the Puma shirt that I'm wearing, from one of the students.
A pretty blouse from my roommates
A cool gecko mirror for my wall, from one of my students who has the same birthday as me.

It was fun to hang out with the kids and play the game of Life with them. I was the last player to make it all the way through the course of "life", but I ended up winning. It seemed almost symbolic in a strange way - sometimes going through life you feel at the bottom..... lonely..... in last place, but if you just hang in there and wait out the storm, you'll come out on top. And even more than that, if you hold on to Jesus through all of it, you'll be the winner!

The game of LIFE......

Comments

Sean said…
I'm glad it ended up being a Happy Birthday for you, Mai!
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday!!Wish you many many more Birthday! Looks like you had a super fun birthday.
Unknown said…
I hope all your birthday wishes come true. Happy belated!
Anonymous said…
Well said. Did you get your birthday package from GA? Either way, I'm glad you had a great birthday.

Popular Posts