Identity
I'm very proud to be Canadian, but there's something deep within me that longs for my Indian heritage to be recognized. When someone does see past my lighter features and my Caucasian-blended appearance, my heart smiles.
Last weekend when we stopped in at A Taste of India for their buffet lunch after a long morning of rock climbing, the Indian waitress immediately recognized my background. We quickly fell into comfortable conversation because there was that element of familiarity. It felt good to be recognized by one of my own.
And the weekend before that, I was walking along Micro beach, enjoying the sunshine. I saw a man off in the distance, and even from far he knew. He changed his course and came towards me. We chatted for awhile and I learned that he's from India but has been here for over 10 years. Somehow, our backgrounds provided an instant connection.
Although I am Canadian by citizenship and Indian by heritage, I hope I am always identified as a Christian by character.


Comments
Karen