A Conversation With Mai

Last week, on one of our long drives out to Kagman, Sean posed the question: "What would you say if you could talk to yourself at half your age, and what would the 'younger you' say back?" At first, the question put me at a total loss for words, but Sean told me to take some time to think about it. And today, in honor of my younger self turning 11 1/2, I figured I'd post my answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, let me introduce the 'younger me.' At 11 1/2, I had just finished 6th grade. It wasn't an easy school year for me.....it was a transition period. I was trying to figure out who I was while trying to fit in. That summer, I spent my first time away from my family as I spent a couple weeks with my best friend and her grandparents. I was beginning to enjoy the taste of freedom and independence.

If I could sit down with that younger version of me and have a chat, I'd tell myself that life isn't always what it should be or what you'll want it to be, but you get to choose how you react to it. You can sit by and let life happen or you can take what life gives you and make the best of it. I'd tell myself not to care so much about what people think. You don't have to impress anyone, not even boys because the good ones will see you for who you really are. Don't worry about make-up, shaving your legs, or any of that stuff because in the end you won't really like the hassle of it all. I'd tell myself to be proud of who you are and to never compromise your standards or dreams for someone else - but rather to find someone who shares those same standards and dreams. I'd tell myself not to take my family for granted because in a few years, they'd be spread across the world and you won't get to see them as often anymore. I'd tell myself not to be in such a hurry to grow up because it would happen all too quickly and it's something that you can never go back to. Take your time and enjoy each stage of life, each moment as it unfolds.

The 'younger me' at my brothers elementary graduation.

The current me...

The 'younger me' during my first visit to Saipan!


If the 'younger me' could see the woman I've grown up to be and talk with me, I think she'd be happy with who I've become. I think she'd say that she would have never imagined that she'd get to go to all the places I've been or do all the things I've gotten to do in my life so far. I think she'd be a little surprised that I finished college so quickly and with such high honors. I think she'd be a little surprised that I've become a teacher because that wasn't even in the plan back then. I think she'd be excited to grow up and become me (even though I already told her not to be in such a hurry to grow up!) I don't think she'd want to change anything that has happened because she could see that it all made me into the person that I've become.

I think it would be a great conversation if the 'younger me' could meet the current me.....

Comments

Bev said…
great post mai. i may try and blog this later=)
Anonymous said…
I liked your pics and advice. That's a really good question. Sounds like the deep thoughts of Sean. I hope that some of your kids hear that wisdom, because if they apply it, they'll have a great life.
Sean said…
Beautiful answer, Mai. Both Mai's sound amazing! And. . .HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it's a fantastic one. . .

Oh, and tell Graves I can't take credit for the deep thoughts. . .Someone on Interference posted that question as a discussion topic and I lifted it from there. . .

Popular Posts