REAL Beauty
On Friday, instead of going to school and teaching like every other ordinary day, I hit the road for a fun-filled, but exhausting tour with the REAL Christian Theater drama team. I had great confidence that the kids were gonna do great, but I was a little nervous about my part in the program - I was the host. For those who know me, I'm an organizer - I love planning this kind of stuff, putting it all together, working behind the scenes - but hosting or being the emcee.......not really my forté.

Our first show was at Hopwood Junior High - a school with a reputation for being a tough crowd - that didn't exactly help my nervousness. There they were, hundreds of them, scattered aimlessly across the open field. I wasn't even sure if my voice would be strong enough to reach their ears...not to mention the fact that they were all talking and not really paying attention. I wanted to run and hide, but somehow, out of nowhere, when Sean handed the mic to me, it just sorta happened. I found myself out there welcoming them, inviting them to move closer, introducing the show, and just talking to them. I surprised myself a little......I wasn't sure I had it in me, but I guess I do.
Our show was called "REAL Beauty" and it talked about patience, forgiveness, honesty, and other things that cultivate real inner beauty. Our message was everyone has beauty inside them.
After that show, we headed down the road, past our own school to San Antonio Elementary. They were a good group of kids but we had some sound system issues there, so it kinda threw us off a little. But they still cheered for us really loudly at the end! From there, we booked it to Dan Dan Elementary. This was a treat because it was inside their air-conditioned cafeteria. After Dan Dan, we had a break in the schedule for lunch. After a vote, we ended up at McDonalds - not exactly the vegetarian's first choice, but I was able to order a salad. With our bellies full, we started the long trek to Kagman Elementary. We got there with plenty of time to set up all our equipment and visit with the kids before the show began. The kids there were awesome! They were so interested in what we were doing and even asked us for our autographs! I felt like a celebrity for an afternoon! After packing up there, we had one last stop: San Vicente Elementary. By this time we had it all down to an art - we hauled in our equipment, set it up, and did our show in record time. It went really well and we ended on schedule. Overall, it was a success, and a lot of fun!

The note I left for my students since I wouldn't be there for them - I felt like a paranoid parent leaving their baby at the sitter for the first time!

Our first show was at Hopwood Junior High - a school with a reputation for being a tough crowd - that didn't exactly help my nervousness. There they were, hundreds of them, scattered aimlessly across the open field. I wasn't even sure if my voice would be strong enough to reach their ears...not to mention the fact that they were all talking and not really paying attention. I wanted to run and hide, but somehow, out of nowhere, when Sean handed the mic to me, it just sorta happened. I found myself out there welcoming them, inviting them to move closer, introducing the show, and just talking to them. I surprised myself a little......I wasn't sure I had it in me, but I guess I do.
Our show was called "REAL Beauty" and it talked about patience, forgiveness, honesty, and other things that cultivate real inner beauty. Our message was everyone has beauty inside them.
After that show, we headed down the road, past our own school to San Antonio Elementary. They were a good group of kids but we had some sound system issues there, so it kinda threw us off a little. But they still cheered for us really loudly at the end! From there, we booked it to Dan Dan Elementary. This was a treat because it was inside their air-conditioned cafeteria. After Dan Dan, we had a break in the schedule for lunch. After a vote, we ended up at McDonalds - not exactly the vegetarian's first choice, but I was able to order a salad. With our bellies full, we started the long trek to Kagman Elementary. We got there with plenty of time to set up all our equipment and visit with the kids before the show began. The kids there were awesome! They were so interested in what we were doing and even asked us for our autographs! I felt like a celebrity for an afternoon! After packing up there, we had one last stop: San Vicente Elementary. By this time we had it all down to an art - we hauled in our equipment, set it up, and did our show in record time. It went really well and we ended on schedule. Overall, it was a success, and a lot of fun!
San Antonio Elementary









Comments
You're such a beautiful teacher! I loved that note you left for the kids. It showed so much care. Those kids are lucky to have you!
And you were awesome on the road!