Burr, It's Cold!

It was a long trip. I timed it: exactly, almost down to the minute, 24 hours from the time I left my house in Saipan until the time I arrived at my parents house in Kelowna. It was long and a little lonely. But it went pretty smooth until Seattle. Once we landed and taxied to the gate, we were politely informed that we should just remain seated because they were having trouble getting the bridge-thing up to the door of the plane. They had to call mechanics and were almost about to taxi us to another gate when they finally got us working. When I finally got off the plane, it was a mad rush to get through customs, collect my bags and find my way to another airlines so I could check in and make the last leg of my journey. I was really worried that I wouldn't have enough time, and on top of that, I was lugging around 2 huge suitcases, a small carry-on and my back pack! It was exhausting! When I finally made it to my gate, we were once again informed that mechanics were working on the plane so we would be late! By this time I was hungry, tired, and a little grumpy, but I tried to be positive - at least it was happening at the end of my trip, where I didn't have to catch any connecting flights on the other end!

On the flight from Seattle to Kelowna, I sat next to a very tall, but friendly man named Eric. He was meeting up with a friend in Kelowna and then heading down to Mexico to golf for the next 2 weeks. I was a little envious of him because they had just announced that the temperature in Kelowna would be 18 F when we landed. I was tempted to hi-jack the plane and head back to Saipan! But I got some great pictures of the mountains on the way up - it was pretty spectacular.


When we finally landed in my home town, the sun was shining and there wasn't a lot of snow on the ground, so I was hoping it wouldn't be quite as cold as they predicted......but I was sadly disappointed - it was ridiculously cold! And since it was a smaller plane, we had to actually get off the plane and walk across the tarmac to get inside! Burr........ Supposedly it was the coldest day of the winter so far......lucky for me, it just happened to be the day that I arrived.

To top things off, I woke up this morning and it was snowing. I got out of the shower, it was still snowing. I ate breakfast, still snowing. We went to church, had a wonderful service, and enjoyed a yummy potluck......STILL snowing! I must admit, the snow looks pretty, but that's about it. It's cold, slippery, dangerous on the roads, and very restrictive. My body isn't used to be crammed into heavy socks and boots, and being weighted under many layers of clothing just to stay warm. It's been a huge shock to my whole system.

Me in the snow-covered world.....burr!

But other than that, it's nice to be home for a bit and with my family. I've already gotten to see quite a few friends and people from my church so that has been really nice. Soon my brothers will be home with their ladies! I can't wait for that!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Enjoy that snow! Sounds like fun. I wish I was up there to throw a snowball at you. Then you could show me how to build a real, live, Canadian snow mountie.
Sean said…
^lol. . ."real, live Canadian snow mountie". . .that guy. . he's such a kidder!

Hey, glad you made it home safely.

Stay warm and Merry Christmas!
Anonymous said…
lol... i know how you feel - it took me almost 24hrs to get home -- and that was just from california ... delayed flights - missed flights... blablabla... i LOVE it when it snows - yes it is a pain when you think aboutthe logistics - but just think of the mysterious romantic nature of the stuff :) ... and the fun times we've had in it, lol... and - possibly most importantly - the fact that you do NOT live in it! so ENJOY it for what it is while it is :) looking forward to chatting. enjoyed your email. love you THIS MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mwah
sj

Popular Posts