A Lesson in Patience

When school began, I decided to do a year-long "Fruit of the Spirit" theme. Each month, we would focus on one of the fruits. So far, so good. September, we learned about the Loving Lemon; October brought the Merry Melon; and November was the Peaceful Peach. As December began, I wondered how I would teach my students about the Patient Pineapple. I soon had a brilliant plan in place!

First thing Monday morning, I told the students that we would be making tissue paper pineapples, and while they were working, they could have some candy, but it was their choice: they could have the candy now or they could be patient and wait until after they were finished their projects. When I asked who wanted their candy now, only one single student put up his hand. Now most students, seeing that they were the only ones with their hand up would quickly put it down and wait like everyone else, but not this boy - he hates to wait for anything. He doesn't even like the idea of being patient, so I gave him his candy. (For those of you who know my students, you can probably guess who this little boy is!) He made a big production of opening up and enjoying his candy in front of all the other patient students.

After the students had finished their projects, I brought out the candy again and I told them that as a reward for their patience, they each got 2 candies and a Choco-Sandwich! I felt a little bad for the one impatient student as he looked on with longing in his eyes, but I wanted him to understand the importance of patience, so I didn't give in. I was hoping the lesson would stick with him.

The next day in Reading class, I gave the students the assignment of writing a fable. My only requirements were that the main characters had to be talking animals and the story had to teach a lesson. When I read the impatient student's fable, I had to chuckle to myself, because the moral of his story was "It is better to be patient than to miss out on the good stuff." I think he learned his lesson!

The pineapple projects the students were working on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
very nice miss mai ;) goes along well with last weeks lesson, too! and i love the pineapples - mucho cute-o :P
ps i receive a lovely package in the mail today - almost opened it till i read "dont open till christmas!" ... ugh - this patience will hopefully pay off :P
hope you have a safe flight home - miss you and looking forward to chatting soon.
Sean said…
I love that guy.
Anonymous said…
Good job. Hopefully he learned his lesson. I know that I need to learn patience.
Brit's Blog said…
haha....I remember when my teacher did something like that to me in grade school.

LOL...You're sucha good teacher Mai. Keep up the good work in patience.They'll learn. So many days I'd wish my kids would learn that. lol...

love you!

Popular Posts