Excess

Ek-ˈses: more than or above what is necessary, usual, or specified; extra

One of life's great lessons that I've learned is that anything in excess is not usually recommended. Too much of something, even a good thing, usually turns out to not be such a good thing. Take coconut for instance. It's really good for you, but a few weeks ago, I decided that I should eat the whole thing and I soon found out that too much coconut was not good. I got kinda sick and almost threw up! Another good example was my freshman year in college. I decided not to take a heavy load of classes, work, or get involved in extracurricular activities because I wanted extra time to devote to my studies - but I didn't even make it on the Dean's list that year. The next year, however, when I was working in the Education office, taking a heavy load of classes, playing on the volleyball team, and serving as one of the Worship leaders, I made some of the best grades of my college career. When I had all that excess time on my hands, I seemed to squander it, but when time was precious, I was able to use every moment of it wisely.

Once again, here in Saipan, I found myself living in excess. This time, it wasn't an excess of time (that rarely happens out here!), but it was an excess of space. Although I shared an apartment with 3 other girls, I had the upstairs loft bedroom to myself. I liked it that way because I enjoyed the privacy it allowed me and it had become my little haven, a place of escape. Plus, it was nice to not have to share any of it - it all belonged to me! My own bathroom, closet, drawers.......all of it for me to spread out in. But then January rolled around, and due to some unfortunate events, two staff members ended up leaving which left one of the Student Missionaries in a small apartment far away and all by herself. We decided that it would be best for Riki to move in with us. So, Judith moved upstairs with me, and Riki moved in with the other 2 girls downstairs. At first it felt cramped, having to squeeze all my stuff into half the space that I'd been enjoying for the past year in order to make room for Judith, but surprisingly it all fit. I realized that I didn't need all that extra space. I realized that I'd rather share my haven with a friend, than have all that space to myself.

And it has all worked out really good. I'm enjoying living with Judith, and we all are happy to have Riki living with us!

Me and my new roommate - Judith (and yes, I'm pretty sure that's Bev's cute little face in the background!)

Riki - Our new house-mate!

Comments

Anonymous said…
gorgeous pic of the two of you my dear el besto!
thoroughly enjoyed our chat on thurs night! miss you very much.
love me*
Sean said…
lol! Love that picture of you and Judith (and Bev)! Glad it's all working out. Judith's good people so I'm not surprised it's been easy to share with her.
Bev said…
lol I didn't notice my face in the pic!=P I love hanging out with you guys!

Popular Posts