God of the Ocean

The ocean is a mysterious thing. It's so vast. It covers 3/4 of the earth and, in some places, it's deeper than we can imagine possible! It can appear to be any shade of blue or green even though the water is actually clear. Some days it's calm and beautiful; other days its angry and stormy. It has so much power and commands so much respect and yet is it so inviting....it's just waiting to be explored.




God is kinda like the ocean to me. He is so vast, so immense, I can't even begin to understand what He's really like. But I do know this, He is constantly calling us, inviting us to explore His character and get to know Him better.

As I was out diving this past weekend, just being in the middle of the deep blue, I felt like I was actively experiencing God and getting to know Him better. Maybe it's because when I'm under that many feet of water, swimming with amazing creatures, and experiencing a whole new side of creation, I can see so many parallels to my journey with God. He wants to take us to new heights (or depths). He wants us to see and experience things that most people miss out on as they blindly stumble through life.

The interesting thing is that I'm often afraid of the new experiences. Before going diving this weekend, I was very hesitant because I had never gone on a boat dive before. I didn't know what it would be like or what I would encounter. Part of me was even hoping it would be canceled for some reason so I didn't have to go through with it. But when I finally got out there, I loved it. There were some not-so-great moments, like almost freezing in between the two dives, but over all I loved it and didn't regret any of it. And sadly, I often see this paralleled in my relationship with God. So many times I find myself afraid of what will happen if I embark on a new experience with God. I don't know what I will encounter so I'd rather not take the leap of faith at all. But when I do, I realize it's all worth it - God's in control and He's got some amazing things planned for me.

Just think what I would've missed out on if I wouldn't have gone diving this weekend!

Comments

Bev said…
The many adventures in Saipan have definitely enriched my relationship with God. Especially dropping into the deep blue sea. Its amazing what He will show you when you trust Him 100%! Glad you came out on the boat dive=)
Sean said…
This is exactly what I needed to read tonight, both for my diving and for my spiritual walk. Thanks!
Riki said…
you perfectly captured the experience mai! it was amazing, so glad to have shared it with you!

Popular Posts