Australian Adventures - Tuesday, March 25
I've sincerely enjoyed all the things we've done thus far, especially feeding the kangaroos and holding the koala, but today topped it all. Not only was it fun, but it was also very educational.
We first visited the cultural center of the Djabuganydji (an indigenous tribe). We learned their history, dancing, art, and way of life. They taught us how to play the didgeridoo, choose wild, edible food, and throw a spear and boomerang - it was all very fascinating!


This guy was playing the role of a kangaroo during a dance that was telling the story of how they would hunt.
As you can see, they "speared" him and now they are dancing around him in celebration.
Trying out the didge...
And of course, can't forget the boomerang! It almost came back!
Enjoying the scenery at the cultural park
But the part that left the deepest impression on me was the historical film they showed at the end. It first showed what life was like during "dream time" (the sacred time in Aborigine beliefs that marks the creation of all things, a time before the white man came) and how their lives started to drastically change as the white man moved in and took over. Just like many people of the Americas, Asia and Africa, the Aborigines of Australia were also treated savagely - men, women, and children alike were raped, killed, brutalized and treated like animals. Their land was taken away and they were sent to "mission" reserves like prisoners. Their whole way of life - hunting and gathering, and living off the land - was taken away from them and they were forced to learn a new, "better" lifestyle. Children were being raised farther and farther away from their cultural heritage and most don't even know their native language anymore. Many were introduced to drugs and alcohol and have slipped into that downward spiral.
Near the end of the film, they showed rows and rows of empty chairs that should be filled with their people that have been lost to violence or substance abuse. It angered me to tears to see this and all the injustice that has been done to these people (and so many other people groups). So what if they were living primitive, humble lives - at least they were happy, their lives rich with culture....and now what do they have? It made me mad when they started wearing Western clothing rather than their beautiful traditional tribal wear - I wanted to stop the film and rewind it as if doing so could turn back time and fix all that has been done to destroy the culture of these people.
By the end of the film, I was enraged towards the "white man" (namely the British) who have done this to so many tribes and peoples throughout history. But after internally raging for awhile, I realized that I wasn't being fair to them - I can't harbor rage against the "white man" as a whole for something that happened many years ago. Yes, great pain and injustice has been done throughout the history of this world, and it's not right or excusable, but it is the nature of our world since sin set in. This isn't the "white man's" fault, ultimately, this is Satan's fault, so I've decided to direct my rage at him.
The view was amazing!

A HUGE tree in the rain forest! Immensely massive! The picture doesn't even do it justice!
We first visited the cultural center of the Djabuganydji (an indigenous tribe). We learned their history, dancing, art, and way of life. They taught us how to play the didgeridoo, choose wild, edible food, and throw a spear and boomerang - it was all very fascinating!
They had very creative cultural dancing


He was really good at playing the didge! (Check out the video below)
This guy was playing the role of a kangaroo during a dance that was telling the story of how they would hunt.
As you can see, they "speared" him and now they are dancing around him in celebration.
Trying out the didge...
And of course, can't forget the boomerang! It almost came back!
Enjoying the scenery at the cultural park
Near the end of the film, they showed rows and rows of empty chairs that should be filled with their people that have been lost to violence or substance abuse. It angered me to tears to see this and all the injustice that has been done to these people (and so many other people groups). So what if they were living primitive, humble lives - at least they were happy, their lives rich with culture....and now what do they have? It made me mad when they started wearing Western clothing rather than their beautiful traditional tribal wear - I wanted to stop the film and rewind it as if doing so could turn back time and fix all that has been done to destroy the culture of these people.By the end of the film, I was enraged towards the "white man" (namely the British) who have done this to so many tribes and peoples throughout history. But after internally raging for awhile, I realized that I wasn't being fair to them - I can't harbor rage against the "white man" as a whole for something that happened many years ago. Yes, great pain and injustice has been done throughout the history of this world, and it's not right or excusable, but it is the nature of our world since sin set in. This isn't the "white man's" fault, ultimately, this is Satan's fault, so I've decided to direct my rage at him.
When I was finished raging, we caught the Skyrail up the mountain. This gondola trip took us 4.7 miles - above the rain forest canopy - to the town of Kuranda. We made 2 stops along the way, the first at Red Peak Station, which is in the heart of the rain forest. We got out of the gondola to walk around and saw over 160 species of rainforest plants, although I couldn't even begin to identify them all! The variety of plants and the views were just amazing, proving how creative and detailed our God is!
The view was amazing!

A HUGE tree in the rain forest! Immensely massive! The picture doesn't even do it justice!Continuing on up, our next stop was at Barron Falls. These water falls are so magnificent, I can't even begin to describe it! This spoke to me about the power and majesty of God. it was just such an awesome sight to see the white water crash together as it thundered noisily down the massive boulders. To top it off, the mist coming off the water formed a gorgeous rainbow! Incredible!
Our time spend in Kuranda and our trip back down was a rushed blur of eating & shopping, but at the end of the day I smiled at all the information and new experiences I had gained.Check out this guy on the didgeridoo! He's really good! Watch for his circular breathing - I have no idea how he does it!
Here's Barron Falls.....listen to the thunderous roar as the water cascades down the rock!










Comments