Australian Adventures - Wednesday, March 26
Heroes. Everyone needs at least one hero in their life. Jesus is my ultimate lifelong hero, but I often find daily or seasonal heroes along life's journey.
Today's hero was Clarky. He's a young guy from northern England, so far north that he almost sounded Scottish to me, but his thick accent and missing tooth just added character. He was our white water rafting guide that safely took us down 14 km and 28 rapids on the Tully River.

He leads quite the interesting life. He travels around to different places to work as a rafting guide. He's spent 2 years guiding in Canada (during the winter he worked up at Whistler), and even visited my home town! Today was his 2nd to last day guiding in Australia before heading off to guide for 6 months in Norway! Such a nomadic spirit he has! I like the idea of traveling around like that, but I think I need more stability in my life. I think if I had to life the nomad life, I'd like to do it out in the wide-open spaces of Mongolia.....I loved it there!
Anyways, rafting today was so much fun! I haven't been rafting since I was in France almost 4 years ago, so it was great to get back out there.
The water was cold, but surprisingly refreshing. As we glided down the river, bouncing off rocks, twirling, spinning, and paddling hard, my heart was purely happy! The river was surrounded by some of the most luscious beauty I've ever seen. Green rocks, jagged cliffs, dainty water falls, colorful butterflies.....there was just so much beauty to be seen during the lazy stretches of the river!
When the water was rushing faster, we had to paddle hard, lean this way or that, duck down, or whatever else Clarky commanded. Only 2 students fell out, but we got them all back! We went under a waterfall that was so powerful that I thought it was gonna split my head open! There was time to get out and swim; there was time to stop paddling and just enjoy the moment. It was the perfect blend of everything to make a perfect day!
Our team - 4 students, 3 adults, and our guide (Clarky is between Sean and I)
Sean and me enjoying ice cream back at the cafe
The guys
Riki and the girls
When we returned to our hostel, we had a special birthday dinner for one of our students who was turning 14! She's a great girl and a very special part of our school and church!
Today's hero was Clarky. He's a young guy from northern England, so far north that he almost sounded Scottish to me, but his thick accent and missing tooth just added character. He was our white water rafting guide that safely took us down 14 km and 28 rapids on the Tully River.

He leads quite the interesting life. He travels around to different places to work as a rafting guide. He's spent 2 years guiding in Canada (during the winter he worked up at Whistler), and even visited my home town! Today was his 2nd to last day guiding in Australia before heading off to guide for 6 months in Norway! Such a nomadic spirit he has! I like the idea of traveling around like that, but I think I need more stability in my life. I think if I had to life the nomad life, I'd like to do it out in the wide-open spaces of Mongolia.....I loved it there!
Anyways, rafting today was so much fun! I haven't been rafting since I was in France almost 4 years ago, so it was great to get back out there.
The water was cold, but surprisingly refreshing. As we glided down the river, bouncing off rocks, twirling, spinning, and paddling hard, my heart was purely happy! The river was surrounded by some of the most luscious beauty I've ever seen. Green rocks, jagged cliffs, dainty water falls, colorful butterflies.....there was just so much beauty to be seen during the lazy stretches of the river!
When the water was rushing faster, we had to paddle hard, lean this way or that, duck down, or whatever else Clarky commanded. Only 2 students fell out, but we got them all back! We went under a waterfall that was so powerful that I thought it was gonna split my head open! There was time to get out and swim; there was time to stop paddling and just enjoy the moment. It was the perfect blend of everything to make a perfect day!
The only picture we have of us actually on the river
Our team - 4 students, 3 adults, and our guide (Clarky is between Sean and I)
Sean and me enjoying ice cream back at the cafe
The guys
Riki and the girls
Birthday girl




Comments
xo