A Fun, Full Weekend

Thanks to the Memorial Day holiday, we had a long weekend. Since there is only 2 weeks left on-island, I've been advised to "milk it" for all it's worth, so I am. From Friday night until now (Monday night), it has been non-stop eating, socializing, enjoying friends, nature and life. It was a great weekend!

Here's a few things we did:

I went diving on Sunday morning with my friends, Mark & Tammy (sorry mom!). I got to hang out with this adorable and friendly turtle for about 10 minutes as he just cruised around, chomping on coral and enjoying my company!

I went to the spa with Riki and one of my friends from the drama team. It was a beautiful and relaxing day!It's a beautiful and lush spa way up at the north end of the island......

Since we ran up Tapachau on Thanksgiving day, we thought it would be appropriate to run up Suicide Cliff on Memorial day - so we did. We started at Last Command Post where the Japanese General Saito gave the last command to take their lives for the emperor, then committed harakiri. The path to the top was a non-stop, upward climb, twisting and winding over and around the hills and knolls that create the huge cliff. Thirty-seven minutes later I had put the 3.something miles behind me and I stood at the top, overlooking the 800-foot tall cliff where hundreds of Japanese soldiers jumped to their deaths rather than surrendering to the Americans. It was a good run and an appropriate one for Memorial Day.


Before the run...

The faithful shoes that carried us upward...

Happily at the top!

On the way home.....enjoying the island life!

It was a great weekend.....now it's back to work - only 8 more days left of school!

Comments

Gloria Pierson said…
What a fun weekend! Those turtles are amazing - you will certainly miss that part of your life back in Canada!!! You will be missed in Saipan and I will miss reading your blog! Have enjoyed your perspective of live on the Island. God bless you as you make your future plans.
Bev said…
Yay! You got to see a turtle up close and you ran up Suicide Cliff!
Beth said…
(ya sorry mom) Well I am glad you are still writing about it, and "careful" is a pretty weak word, but something that is so crucial. Looking forward to having you home. MOM
Sean said…
^ :)

It really was a good weekend wasn't it. One of the best I've had in awhile!

Popular Posts