A Glimpse of Guam

Sean had a layover too, although it wasn't as long as mine. We left the airport and got a few hours of rest up at the Guam Micronesia Mission's guest rooms. Before I had to take Sean back to the airport, we stopped for a huge breakfast at Denny's. It was good food and good conversation - I'm gonna miss him when I leave.

As I waved goodbye to him at the airport, I set off on my own, with only my camera and map as companions. It was such treat because in Saipan there's almost never an opportunity to do anything alone, so I was excited to embark on my solo adventures as I explored the island. I first headed up to Two Lover's Point, a place that I've wanted to visit for quite some time now. The legend has always intrigued me and I wanted to see it for myself. It was up north on the island and the Point had a beautiful view looking south towards "town". I tried to take myself back in time and envision the legend as it might have unfolded at that very place. (If you are unfamiliar with the legend, scroll down read about it at the end of this post.)

From there I headed back down the island driving along the "tourist district" that lines the waterfront of Tumon Bay. Near the end of the bay, I pulled off at a little beach-park to take some pictures. I really wanted some pictures of me in the bay, so I looked around and saw a little speck of a man approaching. As he neared, he turned out to be quite tall, but he seemed friendly. Stepping out of my usually shy tendancies, I asked him if he'd take a picture of me. He, Fisco, replied with a strong spanish accent that he, too, was looking for someone to take pictures of him, but underwater, with the fish. I apologized, explaining that I couldn't because I didn't have my swim suit or any of my gear with me. But, he was still kind enough to take a picture of me.....actually several, he just kept taking pictures until he was satisfied that he had captured me with all the necessary backdrops. He took plenty pictures, but I'll spare you and only show a couple of them!


Continuing on, I headed back to the central part of Guam where there were a few parks I wanted stop at. I took a brief walk through the Plaza de Espana, displaying some of the evidence of the Spanish rule over the island. Just across the street from the Plaza was Stone Latte Park with some ancient Chamorro Latte stones that they used to build their houses on. The latte stones are now a symbol of the CNMI.


By then, it was almost time for me to be at the airport, so I head back to the mission office so someone could take me to the airport. Keith Rodman, my boss's boss, took me on the scenic route back to the airport. We drove up Nimitz Hill which lends to a panoramic overview of the island, especially the military port and base. Shortly thereafter, I was back at the airport, heading back to Saipan. It was only a quick tour of Guam, but I'm glad I got a tiny glimpse of it before I leave.


"When Spain ruled Guam, a proud family lived in Agana, the capital city. The father was a wealthy spanish aristocrat and the Mother was a chamorro whose father was a great chief. They owned land and were held in high esteem by all, Chamorro and Spanish alike. However, the best reason for their great pride and dignity was their beautiful daughter. She was honest, modest; her charm so natural that her beauty impressed everyone around her.
One day, a powerful arrogant spanish captain came to ask the father for his daughter's hand in marriage. The proud father decided that the captain would be his daughter's husband. When the girl discovered the pact, she was so disillusioned that she ran from the house and wandered along the shore where the sea soothed her with its silence and peace.
While walking along the shore, she met a young, gentle, strongly built and handsome chamorro man from a very modest Chamorro family. He was lost in his solitary thoughts, his gentle eyes seemed to be studying the lonely stars and seeking some meaning to them. They shared their thoughts and desires and fell in love. When the father of the girl learned about the two lovers, he became angry and demanded that she marry the powerful spanish captain. No one could keep the father from announcing the date of the marriage to the spanish captain. That day, at sundown, she stole out of the house to meet the Chamorro young man. She joined him near the high point where they had first met and watched the stars appear.
Upon discovery that his daughter was gone, the father told the captain that his daughter had been kidnapped by the chamorro boy. The father, the captain and all the spanish soldiers pursued the lovers up to the high cliff above Tumon Bay. The horsemen slowed their pace as they neared the high peak knowing that the lovers were trapped. The lovers realized that they were with few options.
The young man shouted a warning for the men to stay back and the father signaled the men to halt. The couple stood at the very edge of the cliff. The young man and lady took the long strands of their hair and tied them together into a rope-like knot. The two acted as if they were absolutely alone. They looked deeply into each others' eyes and kissed for the final time. Instantly, the young couple leaped down the long, deep cliff into the roaring waves below.
In anguish, the father rushed to the edge, he peered down and only saw the floating hair of the lovers. The father understood the symbolism of their hair tied together. Since that day, the Chamorros looked to the jutting peak by Tumon Bay with a kind of reverence. They pay respect to the young couple who showed them that real love comes from the entwining of two souls, true to one another in life and in death.....












Comments
If I remember right, you got a better car than Bev and I did. not fair! lol...jp- ours broke down once while we were there :) It was halarious
Guam is beautiful!
miss you girl
mwah
sj
The legend is beautiful. It makes me want to be in love. Thanks for sharing lady loooo! Love YOU!