Saying Goodbye.....
To have lived well, laughed often and loved much; to have gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of children; to have filled a niche and accomplished a task; to have left the world better - whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul; to have appreciated earth's beauty and not failed to express it; to have looked for the best in others, and to have given the best of yourself...... That is achievement.
My grandma achieved a lot in her 89 years. As I listened to all the tributes yesterday morning during the funeral, I realized just how many lives she touched just by being herself. Although it's sad to say goodbye, we are thankful that she didn't have to suffer for long and that all of us made it home before she died.
We learned of my grandmother's passing early Monday morning - my mom's birthday. Needless to say, it wasn't a very happy birthday. There was lots to do - pick up my grandma's things from the hospital, arrange for the funeral, call all the relatives to inform them of her passing, choose flowers for the casket..... the list seemed endless. The phone seemed to ring non-stop and people frequently showed up at the door offering their condolences. Since my mom was busy with all of that, it was my task to cook, make sure everyone was fed, and keep the kitchen clean. I felt so blessed and greatly relieved when people dropped off casseroles and other food.....not to mention the huge cooler full of waffles, fruit, and cinnamon rolls for breakfast! It was such a great help! I think there is no better way to help out in such a time as to send food - flowers are beautiful, cards are thoughtful, but food is practical. I can't even express how meaningful it was to receive those gifts of food! I will never forget the kindness of those people and the next time I hear of a death in a family or a baby being born, I will do what I can to extend my condolences in such a way.
I've also been greatly touched by all the people who have traveled great distances to be with us and attend the funeral. It's natural for all my grandma's brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and other relatives to come, but I have been surprised by how many of my dad's family have come. Six of my dad's 8 siblings have come from Vancouver, New York, and Florida to be here at this time. I know they all knew and loved my grandma, but it also shows how much they love us for them to come so far, at such short notice, to be here.

Even my "sister" came. She's not actually my sister, but she lived my family for about 3 years when I was just a little tyke. And some people even got us mixed up because there is a fair bit of resemblance! Since she left Kelowna many years ago, this is only the 2nd time she's been back - once for my high school graduation, and now for my grandma's funeral. It's sad that it's under these circumstances, but it's nice to have her here again.


The grave-side service



My grandma achieved a lot in her 89 years. As I listened to all the tributes yesterday morning during the funeral, I realized just how many lives she touched just by being herself. Although it's sad to say goodbye, we are thankful that she didn't have to suffer for long and that all of us made it home before she died.
We learned of my grandmother's passing early Monday morning - my mom's birthday. Needless to say, it wasn't a very happy birthday. There was lots to do - pick up my grandma's things from the hospital, arrange for the funeral, call all the relatives to inform them of her passing, choose flowers for the casket..... the list seemed endless. The phone seemed to ring non-stop and people frequently showed up at the door offering their condolences. Since my mom was busy with all of that, it was my task to cook, make sure everyone was fed, and keep the kitchen clean. I felt so blessed and greatly relieved when people dropped off casseroles and other food.....not to mention the huge cooler full of waffles, fruit, and cinnamon rolls for breakfast! It was such a great help! I think there is no better way to help out in such a time as to send food - flowers are beautiful, cards are thoughtful, but food is practical. I can't even express how meaningful it was to receive those gifts of food! I will never forget the kindness of those people and the next time I hear of a death in a family or a baby being born, I will do what I can to extend my condolences in such a way.
I've also been greatly touched by all the people who have traveled great distances to be with us and attend the funeral. It's natural for all my grandma's brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and other relatives to come, but I have been surprised by how many of my dad's family have come. Six of my dad's 8 siblings have come from Vancouver, New York, and Florida to be here at this time. I know they all knew and loved my grandma, but it also shows how much they love us for them to come so far, at such short notice, to be here.
Even my "sister" came. She's not actually my sister, but she lived my family for about 3 years when I was just a little tyke. And some people even got us mixed up because there is a fair bit of resemblance! Since she left Kelowna many years ago, this is only the 2nd time she's been back - once for my high school graduation, and now for my grandma's funeral. It's sad that it's under these circumstances, but it's nice to have her here again.
The final moments spent with my grandma last Saturday afternoon.
The grave-side service
My grandparents' headstone, where they now lie side-by-side.
It's been a long week, but it's over now. As the casket was lowered into the ground at the cemetery, the finality of it all set in. But thankfully, we have the hope of the resurrection when Jesus comes again.
Think of... Stepping on shore, and finding it Heaven! Of taking hold of a hand, and find it God's hand. Of breathing a new air, and finding it celestial air. Of feeling invigorated, and finding it immortality. Of passing from storm to tempest to an unbroken calm. Of waking up, and finding it Home.


Comments
We are sad to hear of your Grandmother's passing away. We are glad that everyone was able to be with her that last weekend. We will be praying for comfort and peace for you and your family.
Your family is in our hearts and prayers.
Love,
Rosana
Know that one day we will all gather under the tree of life :) Can't wait to meet your grandmother!
Love you and miss you terribly!!
Just got back from my trip and was catching up with your blog. I was so sad to hear about your grandma. Sorry for your loss. Praying and thinking of you. *squeeeeezes*