A Good and Faithful Servant

It was a Monday night, 2 weeks ago, that the first email came. My friend Leanne sent out a plea, to everyone she knew, to pray for her mom. Mrs. Buelow had been in a bad 4-wheeler accident and was in the hospital, fighting for her life. It weighed heavy on my heart and I went to bed that night praying for a miracle. However, I didn't know that only a few minutes before I drifted off to sleep, Mrs. Buelow fell into an even deeper sleep.

When I woke up the next morning and heard the news, my heart broke. I thought of Mr. Buelow who would no longer have a companion to share the rest of his days with. I thought of Leanne and her precious 2-year old son who would grow up not remembering his grandma very well. I thought of the rest of the family who would feel the huge empty spot in their lives left by the absence of Mrs. Buelow. I thought of how unfair it was.

I had the privelege of attending the funeral while I was out in Alberta last week. As soon as I saw Leanne, I hugged her and cried. I couldn't even begin to imagine what she was going through, but my heart hurt for her and her family. My tears continued to fall throughout the service and even afterwards as my mom and I talked to Leanne before we left, but my heart was also able to smile because of the great hope that was shared at the funeral that day. Not only was Mrs. Buelow a good, church-going, God-fearing Christian, but she lived her life in such a way that people could see it. She lived each day, each moment, to please God and serve Him well. She sought God each morning and asked Him to plan her day. She went to God with everything and for everything. She was active in her church and community, and the attendance at the funeral was a testimony to that. The entire community and more were there, and even after her death Mrs. Buelow was reaching out to her community and sharing God's love to them.

I was so blessed and inspired by her life and testimony. And it got me to thinking...... Am I living my life in such a way that I am pointing others to God every day? Are people able to see His love through me? Am I living every day to serve Him? Are all of my actions and words a praise to God? Am I allowing Him to plan my days? Will God one day meet me at the gates of Heaven saying, "Well done, My good and faithful servant"?

What about you?

Comments

Sean said…
A lovely tribute, Mai.

If we can find we've left a legacy of Christlike love likes Mrs. Buelow did, we will have lived well.

Popular Posts