Knox Mountain
After leaving Saipan, I didn't want to lose all the progress I had made with running. In Saipan, we had run up Mt. Topachau and Suicide Cliff, and even our usual runs often had some sort of decent incline, but since I got home, I had mostly only been able to fun on the flats. Then, one day out of the blue, I came up with the idea that I should run up Knox Mountain. It's a mountain overlooking the lake that is often the location for Sabbath afternoon hikes. It's also the race track for speedy little cars every year during May Long Weekend. Right away, I looked it up on line and found that it was only 2.2 miles with a 8oo foot ascent. I figured I could handle that!

It took me a while to get around to it, but today, I finally did. Although the current race car record is 1 min 37.065 sec, it took me about 29 minutes to reach the top. It probably wasn't my best run ever, but it was good to get back on a hill. And the scenery and view were spectacular! What a great start to a beautiful day!


When I reached the top, I hiked up to the little pavilion over-looking the city and the lake. That's where I met Bruce. He was an interesting individual who had just reached the top on his bike (it only too me 7 more minutes to run it than for him to bike it!) We chatted about everything about the cost of housing in Saipan to how bad coffee is for your body. (The funny thing was that before I left, he invited me to join him for a coffee sometime......just after he just finished telling me how bad it is!) But the most interesting thing from the conversation was that Bruce told me that he studies all sorts of world philosophies, but he doesn't believe any of them. He only believes what's in his head. I got to thinking about that later...... and I realized how glad I am that I have a God who I believe in and His Word to show me the truth. The stuff that is in our heads will only lead us astray if we try to follow it, but we have the Bible as our compass always pointing us due north. I can only hope that one day Bruce realizes that and finds the truth.


The view from the top, over looking the city and lake (that's our cool new bridge! Before that we used hand-cranked ferries! j/k)

It took me a while to get around to it, but today, I finally did. Although the current race car record is 1 min 37.065 sec, it took me about 29 minutes to reach the top. It probably wasn't my best run ever, but it was good to get back on a hill. And the scenery and view were spectacular! What a great start to a beautiful day!


When I reached the top, I hiked up to the little pavilion over-looking the city and the lake. That's where I met Bruce. He was an interesting individual who had just reached the top on his bike (it only too me 7 more minutes to run it than for him to bike it!) We chatted about everything about the cost of housing in Saipan to how bad coffee is for your body. (The funny thing was that before I left, he invited me to join him for a coffee sometime......just after he just finished telling me how bad it is!) But the most interesting thing from the conversation was that Bruce told me that he studies all sorts of world philosophies, but he doesn't believe any of them. He only believes what's in his head. I got to thinking about that later...... and I realized how glad I am that I have a God who I believe in and His Word to show me the truth. The stuff that is in our heads will only lead us astray if we try to follow it, but we have the Bible as our compass always pointing us due north. I can only hope that one day Bruce realizes that and finds the truth.
The pavillion at the top.


The view from the top, over looking the city and lake (that's our cool new bridge! Before that we used hand-cranked ferries! j/k)


Comments
Interesting conversation with Bruce too--it reminds me of two Rich Mullins songs:
"I believe what I believe is what makes me who I am. I did not make it,know it is making me. . ." (from "Creed")
"They said boy you just follow your heart/but my heart just led me into my chest
They said follow your nose/and the direction changed every time I went and turned my head
They said boy you just follow your dreams/but my dreams were just misty notions
But the Father of hearts and the Maker of noses and the Giver of dreams/He's the one I have chosen
and I will follow Him"
(from "The Maker of Noses")
Can't wait to take you to my awesome frozen yogurt place!
Love ya!