Arriving in Thailand late on Wednesday night was exciting. Spending 4 days exploring Bangkok while adjusting to the time was fun. But, Sunday afternoon, just as the sun began to slink towards the horizon, we finally drove onto campus of MissionCollege, and that was the moment I had been looking forward to. I’m finally here!
Sabbath morning as I was praying, I began praying for our* work here and what we will be doing soon. I prayed for the people we will meet and work with. I prayed for a willing heart, and a Christ-like character. I prayed for wisdom and guidance, as I feel more unworthy and incapable everyday. I prayed that our work here would plant seeds, touch lives and somehow make a difference in this country filled with people, many of whom don’t know the name of Jesus or realize their need of Him. But as I was praying these things, I began to be impressed with an important, urgent thought: at this point in earth’s history, we can no longer be satisfied with just “planting seeds.” We must see results. We must expect the Holy Spirit to be present and at work, here and now. We must prepare for things to happen. I cannot leave Thailand after only planting some seeds, hoping they will grow sometime in the future. No! I need to be able to share Christ with these people in such a way that they will be compelled to make a decision for Christ, right now!
The Adventist church has been present in Thailand for approximately 100 years, but out of the 65 million people in this country, only 7,000 are Adventist…… and of that 7,000 most are not even Thai, but immigrants from other countries!What has been happening in the past 100 years?I don’t know – but I do know that God has been waiting for a time in which He can shake up Thailand and bring His people back to Him.I believe the time is now.And I believe we are here to be a part of it and make it happen.I still feel overly unworthy and unqualified……constantly overwhelmed at the enormity of this work, but I am encouraged by 2 Corinthians 8:12, “For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.”I don’t have anything to offer…nothing to give, but I am willing and I know God can and will use that in a mighty way. Please keep us in your prayers as we begin our work here!
* When I say "our" or "we" I am referring to Andrew and myself. Since we will be working together for the next 5 months, pretty much everything will be "we" or "us."
Mai, I miss you, but I will be sending all kinds of good energy your direction and love, love, love! Live well and have peace, my dearest. We'll be in touch here, and there, I promise. Address soon?
Comments