Motorcycles - Primary Mode of Transport
In Thailand, the easiest and most inexpensive way to get around (at least with short distances) is by motorcycle. Everybody rides them, as you can see by looking at the masses parked in front of any building.
When we got here, we joined the local trend and would ride to and from the Center, around town, and where ever else we need to go, by motorcycle.
When my parents got here, they also did the same thing. Since Andrew was gone for a couple of days to Bangkok for meetings, my dad would take me to and from the Center.
And if we all needed to go some where at the same time, we'd even squeeze 3 on the bike!
But after having to be "taxied" around for the past month and a half, I decided that it would be a good idea if I learned how to ride, so I could do some things on my own. Andrew had given me a short lesson a few weeks back, but when my dad got here, he was determined to make me ride. After driving in circles out in the church parking lot, he was tired of standing in the hot sun, so he told me to take him home. I didn't think I was ready to drive on the road yet, but he insisted. And sure enough I made it home. That evening, he insisted that I ride to and from the Center with him on the back to "supervise." Although I found the big intersections a little intimidating, I was able to do it. I haven't gone to town and back on my own yet, but I will be starting to do that shortly so that Andrew won't have to always come to pick me up and drop me off. Plus, it's a good skill to have....and I am starting to enjoy it. It doesn't even feel strange to be driving on the left side of the road anymore!
When we got here, we joined the local trend and would ride to and from the Center, around town, and where ever else we need to go, by motorcycle.
When my parents got here, they also did the same thing. Since Andrew was gone for a couple of days to Bangkok for meetings, my dad would take me to and from the Center.
And if we all needed to go some where at the same time, we'd even squeeze 3 on the bike!
But after having to be "taxied" around for the past month and a half, I decided that it would be a good idea if I learned how to ride, so I could do some things on my own. Andrew had given me a short lesson a few weeks back, but when my dad got here, he was determined to make me ride. After driving in circles out in the church parking lot, he was tired of standing in the hot sun, so he told me to take him home. I didn't think I was ready to drive on the road yet, but he insisted. And sure enough I made it home. That evening, he insisted that I ride to and from the Center with him on the back to "supervise." Although I found the big intersections a little intimidating, I was able to do it. I haven't gone to town and back on my own yet, but I will be starting to do that shortly so that Andrew won't have to always come to pick me up and drop me off. Plus, it's a good skill to have....and I am starting to enjoy it. It doesn't even feel strange to be driving on the left side of the road anymore!Firing it up....



Comments
Sounds like you are a very busy girl. Keep up the good work and God Bless.