Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is a temple that was built in the 12th century. It originally was a Hindu temple, but somehow, over the centuries, it has evolved into a Buddhist temple. It has been well preserved and still holds religious significance for the Buddhist people. However, it has also become Cambodia's main tourist attraction. Everyone advised us, "If you're going to Cambodia, you have to go see Angkor Wat." So, I was curious to see what was so great about this place.
We got up early - pre-dawn - because we were told that we should watch the sunrise from there. It turned out to be a beautiful sunrise!


As it continued to get lighter, we walked around the various buildings in the temple.

I enjoyed seeing the moon so clearly above the temple.



There are also several other temple sites in the same area, so we drove around looking at the various ones.




One of the temples had massive trees growing all over the buildings! It was amazing to see how huge the trees have grown! In many places, they've had to reinforce the structures because the trees are becoming too heavy for it! It was just incredible!





It looks like the roots are oozing through the bricks!



One place in the park, there are plenty monkeys!! We probably spent over an hour just watching the monkeys! They are such neat animals, each with their own personality!

Cute! Mommy & baby
And of course, the stereotypical monkey eating a banana (after he dropped it in the dirt).

Angkor Wat was interesting, but from a Christian perspective, there was absolutely no meaning, power, or significance. In fact, I almost felt a little ripped off.....I paid $20 to see a bunch of 900-year-old bricks. At the end of the day, I thought it was neat that the things I enjoyed the most - the sunrise, the moon, the massive trees, and the monkeys - weren't the man-made things that I was supposed to be there to see..... but rather, the things made by God!
We got up early - pre-dawn - because we were told that we should watch the sunrise from there. It turned out to be a beautiful sunrise!


As it continued to get lighter, we walked around the various buildings in the temple.

I enjoyed seeing the moon so clearly above the temple.



There are also several other temple sites in the same area, so we drove around looking at the various ones.




One of the temples had massive trees growing all over the buildings! It was amazing to see how huge the trees have grown! In many places, they've had to reinforce the structures because the trees are becoming too heavy for it! It was just incredible!





It looks like the roots are oozing through the bricks!



One place in the park, there are plenty monkeys!! We probably spent over an hour just watching the monkeys! They are such neat animals, each with their own personality!

Cute! Mommy & baby

And of course, the stereotypical monkey eating a banana (after he dropped it in the dirt).

Angkor Wat was interesting, but from a Christian perspective, there was absolutely no meaning, power, or significance. In fact, I almost felt a little ripped off.....I paid $20 to see a bunch of 900-year-old bricks. At the end of the day, I thought it was neat that the things I enjoyed the most - the sunrise, the moon, the massive trees, and the monkeys - weren't the man-made things that I was supposed to be there to see..... but rather, the things made by God!











Comments