Issan Campmeeting - Go Forth & Serve

We left early Tuesday morning for Issan Campmeeting. Pastor Ryan was the official speaker, and had been speaking since Sunday evening, but he wasn't able to stay the whole time, so he had asked Andrew and me to come speak for the last 2 meetings.

It was located at a Boy Scout camp and took us about 3 hours to get there, but we had plenty of time to eat, relax, and put final touches on our sermons before the first meeting. I spoke on Tuesday night and Andrew gave the final message on Wednesday morning. I was a little uncertain about the whole thing, because I had never actually "preached" before. But having a translator definitely helps - not only did it give me time between each breath to think about what I was gonna say next, but it also helped to fill up the hour in which I was supposed to speak!

The theme was "Go Forth and Serve" and I decided to title my sermon "Do It Now." The basis for my sermon was about the woman in Mark 14 who anointed Jesus with expensive perfume before His death. She didn't wait until she could do something greater to show her devotion to Jesus - she did what she could with what she had...and she did it now. I tied in other stories and scripture to encourage the audience to do what they can, where they are, with what they have...now!

The next morning, I got up early and went outside to do my devotions. The camp has various obstacle course activities around, and I was able to climb up to the top of this one to read my Bible and watch the sunrise.
There was already a flurry of activity by 6 a.m. Some people were out exercising....
...others were enjoying an early morning devotional talk.

Even the children had an early morning meeting!

I enjoyed walking around the camp and had fun taking pictures....

Castles located at the entrance of the camp

A threatening tiger lurking behind me!

One of the many obstacle course activities

Look! Even the King was a Boy Scout!

This is the main building where we ate and had meetings...

The row of buildings where the staff were so privileged to stay

Our cute little "house" was at the end of the row.

As I mentioned, Andrew spoke for the final meeting on Wednesday morning. He talked about the "Benefits of Service" - joy, being able to serve without needing special qualifications, purification of our own character, and being given all the strength and resources that we need. I like the quote: "If the benefits are high enough, the price means nothing." I think the benefits of serving God far outweigh the price that it costs us. And although we don't serve God because of the benefits, we can still enjoy these added blessings!
For me, I think the biggest benefit of serving others is that it helps keep me where I need to be. It doesn't gain me merit or points in heaven, but it helps me keep my eyes on Jesus. I read a story about a man who was walking through a terrible blizzard. He was lost and far from anywhere. He was so exhausted and ready to give up when he heard another man who was also lost, but in worse condition. He knew he needed to help the man. So he began helping him, and eventually carrying him until they finally reached the next town where they could get help. It was only then that the man realized that because he helped the other man that he himself didn't die in the blizzard. And I think that's what serving others does for me spiritually. I believe that it is by working to help save others that I will keep myself safely within God's kingdom. We must never stop laboring for the souls of others, lest we risk losing our own!

Andrew's sermon went well and at the end the translator did a call for special prayer and for those who wanted to take the stand for serving God. Many people responded to the call!

And, really neat, afterward there was a guitar duet for special music! I had never seen that done before! It was really good, too!

(Andrew's mom was here visiting for the past week and came to campmeeting with us.....but I somehow didn't manage to get any pictures of her! What a shame!! Although, in the last picture above, you can see the back of her head - the only one with blond hair!)

Comments

Sean said…
Mai, I just spent a very pleasant twenty minutes or so browsing through your recent blog entries. I love the snazzy new look for your blog and I really enjoyed your entries. This is what I love about the blogs, feeling that we can share our lives with one another even though we are apart.

It isn't amazing the adventures God takes us on when we let Him lead? I know that whatever comes next, will be amazing as well because you'll be following Him!

Popular Posts