Thai Girl

I love this part of the world. North America is great and all, but nothing beats the weather, culture, food, and everything else about Asia (and the islands!). I love it here. Just the other day I was telling someone that I feel very at home here; I feel safe; and I don't feel like a foreigner. I love being one of the locals.....going to the market, eating their food, riding motorcycle, using Asian toilets, and doing everything just like they do.

After spending the past 2 and a half months learning the language and doing my best to fit into the culture and community, I got one of the biggest compliments that I could hope for. I was cleaning up after potluck last Sabbath, and one of the Thai ladies said to me, "Where did you learn to be Thai? You dress like a Thai; you act like a Thai; and you're cleaning up after the meal just like a good Thai girl should. If I saw you in the market, I wouldn't think you're a foreigner, I'd just think you're a Thai Indian." That made me feel so happy to hear! I'm a Thai Girl!!!

Dressed in my Lao/Thai skirt on Sabbath morning....in my town.

Comments

Popular Posts