Let the Games Begin!
Right now, it seems like the whole world is revolving around the 2010 Winter Olympics..... but then I remind myself that it's probably only because I live pretty much in the heart of it all. I wonder how much the rest of the world is watching or paying attention to what's going on in my front yard.
It's pretty neat to "be apart" of all the excitement! On Thursday, the Olympic torch came through the town where I teach. It was day 105 of the torch's journey - the longest torch relay in Olympic history. It traveled 45,000 kilometres in the hands of 12,000 Canadians. With something so historic happening in our neighbourhood, we marched the entire school down to where the torch would pass (even the kindergarten kids!). After waiting in the cold and rain for over an hour, we finally saw what we came for....
Walking down to the park.... my 7th graders were in charge of the kindergarten kids.
Pretty much mass chaos..... trying to keep our 257 students contained while we waited.
My kids....
Our high school kids, lined the opposite side of the street with the flags of every country that is competing in the Games.
Some police making an appearance, keeping things under control
The pre-torch entourage making it's appearance, blaring music and getting the crowd hyped up.
And there it is! A magical moment in history....
On Wednesday evening, I had the privilege of attending the dress rehearsal of the Opening Ceremonies that would take place on Friday evening. It was incredible! I was a little skeptical at first, wondering how Canada could even come close after the show in Beijing 2008, but I was quite impressed, and very proud of my country. If you saw it, you know what I'm talking about.... if you didn't, try to check it out on youtube or something! Since it was the dress rehearsal for the real thing, I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but below are some that I found of the actual Ceremony on Friday night.




I was glad to be away from the crowd and chaos when it actually happened, but I enjoyed the fireworks from my living room window!
The 21st Winter Olympics are now in full swing, right on my doorstep! Welcome athletes! Welcome World!! :)
Comments