Spring Break - The Second Weekend
After a day and a half at home, I picked up my friend, Shandi, from the airport and we headed over to The Island (as it is commonly referred to here), to the capital of British Columbia - Victoria, on Vancouver Island.
I enjoyed the ferry ride - it was nice to be on the open ocean again.....
Clouds over the ocean are clouds like no other.
We visited the Royal London Wax Museum. Initially, I wasn't super excited about going to see a bunch of wax, but I was quite impressed, and really enjoyed it! I took tonnes of pictures, but here are some of the best ones.....
Our Queen...
This was the "Between Friends - The Undefended Border" section of the museum.... a bunch of Canadian PM's and American Presidents.
Henry VIII & his six wives....
These two were in the "Martyrs of Hope" section along with the Kennedys.
These men were found on the "Knoll of Knowledge."
Haha.... I couldn't resist! ;)
Princess Diana - a royal legacy
(However, I didn't think they did a great job on Prince William - he looks nothing like that!)
Moses in the "Hall of Religion"
Across the harbor from the Wax Museum, the fairy-tale Empress Hotel can be seen.
It's time to visit my own Parliament buildings.....
Inside.... where the legislature sits.
A really cool place to hang out and window shop is the Market Square...
The inside of the Square (the windows are all the backs of the shoppes).
A great find in the inner courtyard of the Market Square
The inner harbour is a beautiful place on a sunny afternoon!
The Butterfly Gardens reminded me how much I miss humidity! It was so nice and warm inside for the butterflies!
There were so many beautiful butterflies - some easier to photograph than others - so these are the ones I captures decent shots of......
(This was my favorite.... and also the hardest to catch sitting still with his wings open)
They had flamingos, too!
The Undersea Gardens (located in the inner harbour), showcasing local sea life...... however, it was kinda a disappointment after diving in the places that I have dived :(
The enormous octopus was pretty cool!
Sunday morning, I got up early to go for a run in order to keep up with my running program. It got me out of downtown Victoria, took me through residential areas, and then - my favourite part - along the ocean. It was incredible to be running along the ocean again..... precisely what my soul was in need of! (I returned after to take pictures....)
I could see the mountains of the mainland.
I would've loved to spend the rest of the day sitting in that chair, reading a book, and sipping a cup of my favourite tea!

Visiting the Craigdarroch Castle wasn't planned, but when we found ourselves on it's doorstep, we couldn't resist the urge to go in and explore it. Built on the highest point of Victoria, it was built by the wealthy coal baron, Robert Dunsmuir. It is 4 floors of intricate white-oak woodwork, exquisite stained glass, and lavish Victorian-era furnishings. In the past 100 years, it has ben used as a military hospital, college, office building, conservatory of music, and now as a historic museum. It really is an incredible part of history!!

Victoria has a bunch of painted eagles all throughout the town - it was fun to keep an eye out for them. They kinda reminded me of the hearts that can me spotted all over San Francisco. I think all cities should have some sort of icon like this!


Comments