2:02:52

18 weeks ago, I joined a training clinic at the Running Room, a local running store. For 18 weeks, we ran together, trudged up hills, came out for long runs despite the often dismal weather, and encouraged each other.

Some of the runners in my group

Most of us had different reasons for running - to lose weight, to beat a previous time, or even just to finish - but we all had the same goal: 21.1 km on May 2.

The last few weeks of the training were particularly difficult for me. I'd had some knee issues and was wondering if I'd even be able to run at all with out injuring myself. I was beginning to get exhausted physically and mentally. And I had almost lost the desire to run - I mostly felt like I had to run rather than like I wanted to run - and I didn't like feeling like that.

As race day got closer, I started to get more and more stressed - not about the running, but about the actual event: How do I get there? Where do I park? Will I be able to find the start line? Will the course be well marked or will I get lost? What will I do with my stuff while I'm running? The worries went on and on. Thankfully, my parents decided to drive up for the weekend to watch my race and that eased a lot of my worries because I wouldn't be alone through it all.

We were up early on race day. I loaded myself with carbs and we headed out the door. We got a little lost, so we didn't get there quite as early as I would've liked. As a result, I found myself in a long line for the porta-potty only minutes before the race was to begin. I wasn't too worried - I decided I'd rather start a little late instead of having to stop somewhere along the way.

Waiting in line to use the bathroom, I ran into some of my friends from the training group.

Finally finished and ready to start!

The race began at 7:00am and looked like this..... (except this is the full marathon which started at 7:30) The black guy near the front in the bright yellow shirt was the winner and I saw him pass me around 17km (but he had already run about 38km!)


This is what it looked like when I finally started......almost 15 minutes late!!

It was actually a little discouraging, because for the first couple km, there was hardly anyone around. It felt like I was running all by myself and I started to wonder why I even wanted to do this in the first place. But soon, I started catching up to the walkers and slower runners. It felt good to be passing people, but I had to keep reminding myself to not run too fast yet. I had divided the race up in to 3 sets of 7 km and decided to run slower to warm up at first and then a medium pace in the middle, and then really push it for the last 7 km. By the time I hit the halfway point, I realized that my time would be really close to 2 hours. So I decided to push it just a little harder, hoping to possibly finish sub-2.

Even though there were over 14,000 runners and even more spectators, my parents actually managed to see me at 2 different points of my run (although, I only saw them once.) These next two pictures are ones they took and you can even see me in the second one.

The last 1.1km was pretty exhausting. By that time I was giving all that I had left and I was really ready for it to all be over! It felt good to finally cross the finish line, reaching the moment that I had worked for for the past 18 weeks of my life. It felt good! Even though my clock time was 2:16 since I had started so late, my personal time was what mattered to me: 2 hours: 2 minutes: 52 seconds! I could hardly believe how close I was to the 2 hour mark!

I happened to run into 2 of my same friends from the running group while waiting in line for snacks. We were all smiles and sporting our medals after such a great run!!

This one's for the 4Runners! :)

My support crew - couldn't have done it without them!! :)

One of my dad's brother's came too, because he used to be a runner in college.

Yay! I'm done! See my big medal?!? Now I need some warm, dry clothes!!!

A friend of mine who ran the full marathon summed up the whole experience in these words: "YOU, as in ME, as in SELF – proud but not puffed up, disciplined in caring for yourself with planning, training, nutrition, sleep, rest, all the race prep items and finally, the run itself: one step at a time, one foot in front of the other; the gradual push, the constant fueling; the mental fortitude, the perseverance; through the pain, through each drop of sweat and rain; fighting to believe in yourself, from start to finish." .....And I couldn't agree with him more!

Comments

Laura said…
Wow, congratulations! That's a great accomplishment. So wonderful that you stuck it out and had the satisfaction of a job well done at the end. No injuries, I'm assuming?!
Ev said…
A job well done indeed. Congratulations Mai you inspire me. You are amazing.
Sean said…
Wow, that brought back a lot of memories. I could relate to so much of your account. Way to go Mai!

Looks like you got some real Red Bull, not that suspicious "extra strength" stuff we had! Glad the Ipod is still serving you well.

It was nice to chat earlier this week. I'm glad we've been able to stay in touch.
so proud of you :):)
Ronald said…
Mai, you are quite the athlete looks like you had fun :)

Popular Posts