A Little Something on my Lap

Chatting with a friend earlier this week, we were discussing our purpose in life. He said that he wants to do something great for God, but is sometimes afraid of doing the wrong thing so he doesn't do anything at all. I shared that my problem is often waiting for the "great" something that I miss out on the "little" somethings that I can do for God every day, like calling up a friend to offer encouragement, sacrificing some free/personal time to help someone in need, or even just praying diligently for someone.

As we continued to discuss this, I realized that I had a little "something" sit on my lap at church this week. He's a little boy that is in kindergarten at my school and rarely knows which way is up. He doesn't know my name but occasionally recognizes me if we pass in the hall. His parents are going through a gory divorce and, as a result, he seems to be quite emotionally affected by it all.

Out of the blue, in the middle of church, this little "something" walked over to me and moved my Bible from my lap so he could sit in it. He didn't really say anything, he just showed me the toy he was playing with as he tried to balance it on my nose. After a while he snuggled in a little closer as if he was planning on falling asleep. I held him. I rocked him. I rubbed his back. And he was completely content in that moment to just sit there and be loved. Eventually, he slid off my lap without a word and went back to playing with the other children. He must have known he needed some loving and sensed that I had some extra to share.
To this, my friend replied, "Praise God for the "something" that sat on your lap." Yes, perhaps he was my "something" for the day..... or perhaps, I was his "something".

Comments

Ronald said…
Hey Mai very nice article. I'm glad you were able to make a difference in his life.
Sean said…
Great post, Mai. Reminds me to start looking for the "somethings" in my life.

Popular Posts