P4C Homeshow

P4C. Passion for Christ. It's the name of our school's gymnastic team. One of the questions the principal asked me when she was interviewing me over a year ago was, "Do you have any gymnastics experience?" The answer to that question has shaped my involvement at Deer Lake School, and probably was one of the deciding factors to whether or not I was hired (in addition to wanting to teach Math and the ability to speak French). As a result, I have been the assistant head coach of P4C.

It is a huge time commitment: 2 days a week from 3-5/5:30 all year long. Some days I loved it, but some days, when I had a stack of papers to grade and a million other things to be doing, I resented it. It was stressful, exhausting, and time-consuming, but when the night of the homeshow arrived, I was proud of my kids! They pulled together and did a great job!

Huddling together for the opening routine

The younger kids - "juniors" - doing their pyramids routine

The following pictures will give you an idea of why I often found it stressful and almost developed ulcers over it! (Thankfully no one got severely hurt this year!)

The head coach made me base toss flips which I wasn't too excited about (especially since we had only practiced them twice before the show), but no one landed on their head, thankfully.

Mini-tramping, another source of ulcers for me, especially since I saw one of the kids land a dive roll wrong near the beginning of the year and hurt himself pretty badly.

The older kids - "seniors" - doing their pyramids routine

The finale - "Stairway to Heaven" - the kid in the harness walked up each person until he got to the top and did a 3-high.

Comments

Sean said…
As a kid growing up, I always found gymnastics shows stressful to watch for the same reasons you had. I was always worried that someone was going to get hurt.

I guess Babs had no such fears since she was a competitve gymnast for years.

Popular Posts