When Death Comes Too Soon
He was diagnosed last November with cancer. Bile duct cancer. There didn't seem much that could be done; it was only a matter of time.
L-R: my cousins Kelley, Allen, and Kevin, Uncle Larry & Auntie Darla
Even though this picture was taken way back at Christmas time, you can already see my uncle turning yellow.

The funeral was today.
When I got the news late Thursday evening, I put my head down and the tears came quickly. Not for him, his suffering is over. But for them. For those who have to continue on after him. For the days, weeks, months, and even years to come that will be painfully difficult without their husband and father with them.
Sitting through the funeral I couldn't help wondering....
...What is it like knowing the days are numbered for someone you love?
...What is it like waiting for that person to die?
...What do you do after? when all your time has evolved around that person, and then they're gone?
...How do you go on when the man that you've been married to for 31 years or the father that has been their all your life no longer exists?
...How do you keep it together when everyone else is falling apart?
...Will the pain ever stop?
It was much too soon. He wasn't even 57 yet. There was still so much life for him to live - seeing his children get married, grandchildren, retirement, and getting old with his wife. But I don't think that the fulness of life can be measured in length, but rather breadth and depth. So in that case, I think he lived a full life.


Comments