Caching-In

Last week, I was introduced to the secret world of geo-caching! I had heard a little bit about it, but never really knew what it was. Dr. Gale Gorke was on campus for the week teaching one of the Master's classes and she's super into geo-caching, as is Sarah, one of my former roommates from college. During lunch, they were discussing it and drew me into the conversation which resulted in 5 hours of geo-caching that evening (instead of studying!) They totally got me hooked!!!

Gale and Sarah ready to set out in search of the first cache


Tromping through the forest


Found the first one!


Heading across the open field in search of the road


I found this one myself!


We searched, and searched, and searched....
but never found this one....


We stopped for an intermission of sushi!
This "caterpillar" was so delicious!!


I lived in Lacombe for 4 years & never knew this horse-statue existed!
That's the beauty of geo-caching - it takes you places you might never otherwise go!


Sarah found this magnetic "super-nano" hidden on the horse


Off to another find


And another..... We found 13 that evening!!!

Like most addictions, once you start, you have to keep feeding the craving. So the very next evening, despite really needing to be studying, we headed off for another 3 hours of geo-caching! This time we dragged Nathaniel (Sarah's husband) along with us!



This one took us awhile, but they found it!


These huge ones are pretty easy to find, but usually have fun stuff inside.


Note: don't remove important signs like this while you're looking!


We found this "tree" that had grown around the barb-wire at one of the caches!


This cache required a bit of a hike, but we found it!


This woman is so much fun! In the 2 short evenings I spent with her, she quickly found a warm-fuzzy place in my heart! She's got a very contagious spirit!


Pit stop! Looks like a dive, but the pizza was yummy!
(But don't try the poutine.... it wasn't the best I've had)

Good times! If you've never gone geo-caching, you oughta try it sometime!!

Comments

The Beachcomber said…
Coolness. There are like 4 in the CNMI. Gonna go after them!
looks like you had lots of fun :)
Lizzy said…
I've never tried geo-caching, but that looks like crazy fun! We should find somebody with a GPS and go around Vancouver sometime!
Mai said…
BC - Wait until Christmas, I wanna go after 'em with you!!!

Lizzy - Let's do it! I think you'll love it!! :)
Sean said…
Looks like fun, but how exactly does it work?
I wanna come over for some avocado sushi!

Popular Posts