Home-Made Christmas

I've been itching to blog about my precious, adorable, amazingly-talented kids! I spend so much time with them day after day that they consume a great portion of my thoughts. I can't really help it, they're just a major part of my life! Some of them require a little extra patience, and some days they're a bit of a headache, but at the end of the day, my heart still overflows with love for them!

So anyways.... At the beginning of the school year, I gave them a project for Careers class which required them to choose a charity or organization and a fundraising goal to raise money for throughout the year. They ended up choosing 5 projects and decided to raise a total of $700 for those projects. So we've been brainstorming ideas to help us raise the money. Earlier in the year they sold lemonade and did a photo booth at the International Festival. But as the holiday season approached, one of the students suggested that we make Christmas ornaments to sell. At first I was a little skeptical, but then I remembered the perfect project - it was actually a one that I did with my students in Saipan for a recycled Christmas ornament contest, except then we used recycled juice boxes. This time, I had them bring in old Christmas cards and we've been working on them for the past several weeks.

A close up of the final product

It took a while for the kids to get the hang of it, but once they caught on, they actually started turning out pretty good.

Here my kids are "hard at work" - although the noise level in the room wouldn't have suggested that they were actually working!

These ones are drying after they put glitter on the edges.

This student is my resident professional ornament maker! He's very precise, but cranks them out in 15-20 minutes! It's pretty incredible!

We'll be selling them for a minimum donation of $3 at both of the Christmas programs next week. If they all sell, we'll make close to $300!

Alright, I'm finished bragging about my kiddos......... for now! :)

Comments

ooh! i love them! you should bring me one :) less than 2 wks!
Tiffany said…
WOW! I love those. I would buy a few if I was there. I love that idea of selling them too, very creative. I wish I could steal some of your creativity! I have similar feelings about my students. They sometimes give me a headache but at the end of the day they are my precious, cute, lovable students and my heart overflows with love for them. Happy selling!
Ev said…
Those Christmas ornaments look fantastic and from old cards!! I would love instructions on how to make them.
Great idea for a fundraiser for you kidoos.
Sean said…
That's really cool. I'd like to know how to do it so I can have my kids try it next year.

Popular Posts