Lure of the Forbidden
"There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable." ~Mark Twain
"Forbidden things have a secret charm." ~Publius Cornelius Tacitus
I think these words were spoken with Forbidden Island in mind, because it definitely is "unspeakably desirable" and has a certain "secret charm" that seems to keep luring me back, time after time. Every time I go, I take oodles of pictures, which really look exactly like the oodles of pictures I took all the previous times because nothing about the island itself has changed, yet I am enticed to take more pictures, as if in doing so, I will capture the very charm that is luring me.
It is a magical place, and none of the people I went with today had visited it before (I'm not sure how!), so I had the privilege of introducing them to this sensational spot.
Embarking on adventure
The first glimpse through the jungle
Our best attempt at getting ourselves and Forbidden in the same frame
Bill & Sarah Jane on the way down
My el besto, me and the Forbidden
Ronald, about to encounter some steepness (that's the fun part!)
Down at the water's edge, 3 crabs fighting? giving back rubs? breaking & entering?
A cool find
Conquering the rock
(actually just keeping an eye on the guys trying to cross the channel)
Enjoying the water in a mostly-peaceful spot
Then, I led my unsuspecting followers into the depths of the hidden forbidden cave! One of my favourite places on this island!
Merry Christmas everyone!


Comments
I spent 5 years in the Guam-Micronesia Mission....teaching on Majuro, Saipan, and Guam. Part of my heart still there. Great memories. Never got to go back.