2010: Year of the Runner
So, 2010 was actually Year of the Tiger, but I took the liberty to name it Year of the Runner for me..... mostly because, that's pretty much all I did in 2010 - run.
I started off the year by going for a run on New Year's day in Orlando, despite the pouring rain. And I guess that set the tone for the rest of the year because, rain or shine, dusty prairies or never-ending North Shore hills, I ran and ran and ran.
New Year's Day 2010 - Orlando, FL
Some days it felt like a tedious slog, putting one foot in front of the other, for what, really? But other days, it felt like an addictive drug... I had to have it, yet never could seem to get enough.
Vancouver Half-marathon - May 2, 2010

It really took over my life. Training became a high priority that I rarely let anything get in the way of. I would cut Saturday-night socialization short because I knew I needed a good night's sleep so I'd be rested for my Sunday-morning run. I had to constantly be thinking about what I was eating to ensure that I was fuelling my body properly and adequately. I had to make sure I had all my gear ready to go - music, water belt, blister bandages, gels & beans, lights, reflective clothing, water-resisting clothing, moisture-wicking clothing - the list could go on.
Running with Jessica in Loma Linda - May 2010
Part of me wanted to scale it back after I had finished my first half-marathon; but the other part of me knew that, since I had come this far, I should just continue to push towards the goal of a full marathon. It turned out to be the right decision.

After running another half-marathon and finishing under 2-hours, I knew I was ready for the big leagues. That's when training got serious. At that point in the game, it wasn't just physical training, but it was also a lot of mental training. I learned that it doesn't matter how much physical preparation you've done if you're not mentally prepared. Physical fitness gets you to the start line, but mental fitness gets you to the finish line. And that was so true in those last few weeks. I had to do a lot of mental preparation and positive self-talk to keep me on track.
Running no matter what - Alberta, August 2010
All said and done, I reached my goal at the Okanagan Marathon in Kelowna. It wasn't the initial time that I had aimed for, but I did it! I made it to the start line AND the finish line. I worked hard and ran hard. I was happy with my results.
Okanagan Marathon - October 10, 2010
The sad part is that I haven't run since. Due to what was initially believed to be a stress fracture, but what now is believed to be soft tissue damage, I haven't been able to run. It kinda feels like part of me has been stripped away..... or like a good friend has died..... or like my whole balance and rhythm has been been thrown off. It was my escape and release, so these past 3 months have been difficult. The grind of life has been taxing without having an outlet.
I hope to get back to running soon. I think it'll take some great motivation since I've been out so long, but I really need it! 2011 won't be another year of running, not like the last - I have new mountains to climb and passions to pursue - but I do certainly hope to be up and running soon!


Comments
Maybe you can make this year another "Big Blogging" year since you might be doing a little resting.
Love and prayers, Ronald
It was great spending the past 2 holiday seasons with you too! Love you!!
Nice chatting with you last night!
It was great catching up with you too!