Faith Like Elijah

One of the things I love about my job is telling Bible stories to my students. At most Adventist schools it is assumed that the kids know all the basic stories and they start teaching them more complex doctrinal type-stuff. But at our school, only about 50% of the kids are from Adventist homes. Of the other 50%, perhaps 20% have a Christian background, but the rest come from Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Bhuddist, Atheist, or non-religious homes. This makes it necessary to tell all the foundational Bible stories from the ground up (plus, it's great for all the other kids too, because really? who ever gets tired of hearing these classic stories?!?). Anyways, I just love watching the faces of students who are hearing these stories for the very first time!

This week, we were learning about Elijah and the showdown on Mt. Caramel. It was fantastic re-telling the awesomeness of this story and painting a picture of God's greatness and power (I sometimes get pretty animated!). I had almost forgotten how extraordinary and awe-inspiring this story truly is! Imagine having faith like that? Imagine showing up, after being sought after for over 3 years, and being completely surrounded by people on the opposing team. Ahab. Jezebel. 450 prophets of Baal. All of Ahabs army. And the people who had turned away from your God. ......Pretty intimidating! But he showed up, did his piece, and demonstrated the incredibleness of God!

I'd like a little bit of that kind of faith.

Comments

Popular Posts