Leaving the Summit

When I decided to move to Vancouver, it was at my brother's prodding. He was living here at the time, pastoring at a new church plant called The Restoration Project. To be honest, I didn't really like it at first. At a big church, it's easy to be a visitor; just slip into a pew near the back, meet a few people to start with, it isn't super overwhelming. But at a small church, when a new person comes everyone notices. For me, it was a little much to instantly be thrown into the mix with a bunch of people who are really good friends and know each other really well. So, I busied myself in the kitchen; it gave me something to do instead of trying to make conversation with so many new people. If my brother wasn't the pastor, I probably wouldn't have continued going, but as time wore on, I got to know people and felt more comfortable. In fact, I found it to be a place that was open and genuine, with people who know how to love without judging and share struggles freely. It felt like the way a church should be.

We used to meet at The Summit, a community centre in North Vancouver. The space is basically just a big warehouse-type room - very rustic and organic - but it served the purpose. However, none of us live in North Van anymore, and we're in the process of re-visioning and figuring out where to go from here, so to save money on rent, we're gonna meet at our house for now. We'll see how it goes...... Today we fit about 25 people in here, it was very cozy and homy, and I like having lots of people over.

This is what the Project used to look like........


Even though we've changed venues, it's still the same people, and it will continue to be a place of open sharing, healing, and growing together. It's a good place.

Comments

Popular Posts