Love Rescues

Every now and then, our church hosts an open mic night as a fundraiser to help people suffering in various parts of the world. In the past, we've raised money for the tragedies in Haiti and Pakistan, as well as for those right here at home, the people who are struggling to survive on the Downtown Eastside.

This time, with Valentine's day coming up, we decided to raise money to help stop the sex-trafficking trade in places like Thailand & Cambodia. This is close to my heart, not only because I've lived in that part of the world, but also because one of our own church members - Allison - is there right now working with an organization that works to provide women (and their children) who are at risk of getting pulled into the trafficking trade with opportunities to support themselves and get out of that lifestyle. Befittingly, the event was called "Love Rescues."


The event went well, with about 75 people - give or take a few - filtering in and out over the course of the evening. In addition to the open mic entertainment, there also was good food, candy-grams, items being sold from Freedom Stones (the organization that we're sending all the proceeds to), and even a photo-booth. All of that combined, in addition to several donations, we raised almost $1300, all of it going straight to Freedom Stones. Altogether, the fundraiser was a success, and even more than just raising a few dollars, hopefully we were also able to raise some awareness about this matter.

(I apologize for the dark photos, the lighting was very dim, but it gives you a sense of the ambiance.....)

A song being shared by my friend Japhet

Spoken word being expressed in the from of a poem

Chans operating the Freedom Stones booth

My roommates and I trying to be serious at the photo-booth.....

Japhet going crazy and I'm just trying to get some air!

Despite my best efforts, she still said NO! :(

I borrowed some props from the photo-booth while I had my pastor's youngest son in my possession! Isn't he just the cutest!!! :D

For more info about Freedom Stones: http://www.freedomstones.ws/

To read about the event in the newspaper and what Allison is doing in Thailand/Cambodia: http://www.nsnews.com/news/Event+calls+human+trafficking/4232518/story.html

Comments

Sean said…
Couldn't help thinking of the U2 song "Love Rescue Me" when I read this blog.

That's really cool what your church is doing!

Popular Posts