Crazy? Maybe....

Earlier this week, I read a blog post which kinda touched on some thoughts that I've been musing over lately. This is what it said:

I read a quote that someone posted on Facebook the other day, and it kinda bummed me out because I can’t really say I disagree with it.

“I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance I have been a victim of my own optimism.”

Is reality truly that grim? Are there no good (yes, vague term) men left out there. Should I give up and lower my standards?

I don’t know, but I certainly don’t want to.

I see a lot of older men (ok, and a few in their mid to late 20s) who are great Christlike fathers, husbands, uncles, brothers, friends, mentors, etc. and I feel hopeful. However, the closer they are to me in age, the less I see a plethora of good qualities. Instead, what I see usually disgusts me. I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but the pickings are indeed slim. In fact, I think I’m being optimistic by searching for someone who will have the qualities I value yet rarely see. I know I am young, and honestly I’m in no rush to settle down because I don’t feel I am yet the person I should be (but that’s another story for another time). Still I can’t help but wonder if (when the time comes) I will be able to find someone who will prove this author wrong—a man who will live to his highest potential, not just for me and not merely in the eyes of the world.

…Or is it that I am not seeing something?

~~~

I can totally resonate with this. Every now and then, I have dark moments when it seems like I'll never find the kind of guy I'm looking for.... I sometimes even wonder if he actually exists. Or even worse, maybe I'm not good enough for that kind of guy. But always, out of some deep crevice of my heart, I find a glimmer of hope. I see miracles of love - an elderly couple who's been together for 60 years, a single mom who's let God guide her to the man of her dreams, or a young couple who draw their strength from God to work through their struggles - and I know that that's the kind of love I'm waiting for. And when I see that kind of love, I realize that I'd rather wait all my life for that kind of love with the risk of not ever finding it, than settling for anything less. Is that crazy? Quite possibly...... but I can't help it. I still believe in miracles. I still believe in that kind of love. I still believe it can happen for me.

It reminds me of one of my favourite songs...... "Love Like Crazy"


"Be her best friend, tell the truth, and overuse 'I love you'. Go to work and do your best, don't outsmart your common sense. Never let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!" It's good advice.... and I'll hold out until I've found the right man to share it with.

Comments

Sean said…
Any man would be lucky to have you Mai. But not just any man is good enough for you. Don't settle, hold out for that guy that meets your standards. It's far better to be alone than to be with someone that's not right for you.

Popular Posts