What Lies Beneath

I've heard it said, "Do not fear the raging water, for you can see how dangerous it is. It is the calm water you should fear, for you do not know what lies beneath." That stopped me dead in my tracks, because I realized that I'm the "calm water" - all smooth, glassy, and put-together on the outside, but beneath the surface the waters are churning unpredictably....

I can't really expound on it all right now, but it has to do with church, spirituality, religion, service, sacrifice, mission, purpose, and how all of that fits together. Somethings just need to be wrestled with, I suppose. And so, I wrestle. In order to thoroughly do so, I've decided to step away from all forms of media & entertainment* for the next 40 days to try and sort things out. Ideally, I'd like to couple it with some sort of fast/cleanse/etc., but I don't think my busy schedule will allow that right now. Between staff dinners, an up-coming run, and a youth training conference, an irregular diet isn't really an option. I don't know what the next 40 days will result in. Maybe I won't obtain any of the clarity that I'm looking for. But either way, I'm certain that having extra time to read & pray will be beneficial. I'll let you know how it goes.....


*No TV, movies, blogging, blog-reading, facebook, etc. However, I will still be checking my email (because it's often work-related), and using my cellphone/skype to stay in touch with people.

Comments

Popular Posts